Swallows

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi to all :D

It looks like all the Swallows are heading south :( I watched a number of them feeding on the wing on sunday and then yesterday not a one to be seen, the reason I ask is, last year we still had a small number in the area late september and the last was seen 2nd Oct.
Anybody still got swallows in there area :?:

King regards

Kevin :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Kevin, sadly none to be seen here either.
Although three weeks ago two young ones had just come off their nest in the church porch, i wonder if they will make it. :?

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
pillbug
KG Regular

They started migrating from here weeks ago,there are still a handful left.I took photos of the sky just full of them on 28 aug.I thought it seemed early but I normally miss the mass collection and take off.It was spectacular and loud!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Kevin,
Here the final brood have yet to fledge and of the 14 pairs we had this year 12 are still here with their brood. There are also many of the previous broods hanging on and the air is still filled with them. In previous years the last brood has fledged and they have gone before noon on that day which means the last brood learns the art of flying and feeding on the journey to their winter quarters.
I often wonder what the survival rate is and how many perish along the way. The amount of birds produce here this year is 14 x 4 x 3 Broods and 12 produced 4 broods of 4 each. If my maths are correct there have been 192 young fledged from 14 pairs which to me is fantastic.
For a couple of days last week they were bothered by a Hobby and I had to discharge my shoot gun to dissuade him. I had some wonderful views of the Hobby which at one time was only about 20ft above me.
I suspect we probably lost a few youngsters although I didn't see the Hobby kill any.
JB.
Belinda
KG Regular

For anyone that is curious as I was - The Northern Hobby, or just Hobby, is similar in size to kestrel, but has a shorter tail & long sickle-shaped wings.
DahlisMarie
KG Regular

We have a pair of swallows that live in the garage year round. I expect the winters in the highlands here don't get cold enough for them, however, I don't seem to see other swallows around during winter. Winters here get to -5 or so.
They are sitting on a nest at present. Last year they raised two lots of hatchlings.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi DM,
I suspect that your Swallows would go north for the winter as opposed to ours which fly about 5000 miles South and winter in Africa yours would go to a similar region maybe northern Aus or PNG or even further north. It's all got to revolve around the food supply as well as the temperature although I have seem Martins and Swallows as early as February in UK which is B---y cold here. They normally reach us around the end of April and are off migrating south any time now. This year there have been so many that I had to erect a polythene awning over my washing line because of the soiling. I put some white sheets out and within an hour they looked like Polka dots!!
JB.
arthur e
KG Regular

Out in the garden today up here in the north east of Scotland there was hundreds of Swallows, Swifts and House martins winging around, doesn't look as though they are ready to go yet.
chrissy
KG Regular

We have. I've been a bit worried as they are still feeding a late brood, still not fledged. :? They are usually thinking of going round about now, and it seems very late this year.
Landscape Juice
KG Regular

Hi Kevin

I have many here where I live in South West France

http://www.perigordvacance.com/2006/06/swollows.html

www.perigordvacance.com

I wrongly thought that they were House Martins initially:(

Juicer
jane E
KG Regular

I did enjoy reading Johnboy's account of his swallows. It's wonderful to hear of them in such numbers. We've just had one pair but they've raised two broods. The nest fell down as the first brood were fledging and they had to rebuild for the second brood.The second brood flew about a week ago. I was fascinated to discover that the parent birds put them back in the nest at night for a week or so. We appear to be a staging post for southward bound birds because we've had several lots going through in recent weeks. Also had a hobby visit.
jane E
KG Regular

Still got our swallows - all 5 of them, as opposed to Johnboys 194!An incredible number!
Iain
KG Regular

We've had a marvellous year for our favourite bird, about 20 nests. Not sure how many broods but I'd be surprised if they could manage four up here.Most I've counted on the wires at one time is 69, with a few flying around. But it's 18th. September, there are still some unfledged chicks, and few if any seem to have departed. I'd have thought they'd have lingered longer further south...?
Johnboy
KG Regular

The last broods fledged today and the power wires were full of them. You can tell the newly fledged because they haven't yet got the knack of perching on the wire and then all look drunk on the line.
At a command from somebody they all lift off and they have a little fly then to watch them land is hilarious they seem to crash onto the wire and rock to and fro. By this evening they were quite proficient fliers and landers.
I do not expect them to be here in the morning. They did the same last year and all went within 24 hours of the last broods fledgling.
I shall be very sad tomorrow because I really enjoy their company. I feel very privileged that they choose plot. You have absolutely no idea how much pleasure they give me.
When they go you know that the long cold winter is approaching fast.
JB.
chrissy
KG Regular

I know what you mean Johnboy. I get a really sharp sad pang when they go. :cry: But in the Spring....there is usually an excited phone call from O/H to me or vice versa to say Hey! One's back! Come and see!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic