Labels / Markers

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

How do you label things?
I use plastic labels and permanent markers but they aren't reliably permanent. For example I have three rows of sprouts, two doing well one not so good but I can't read the names written last summer.
My wife says it is because I clean the labels by soaking them in 50% bleach before washing them.
Do you know a marker that works?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
However many times a salesman says to you it's resistant to ultra violet the word resistant is treated as permenant and there is a world of difference.
I use white labels but I now use a pencil and the graphite is impervious to sunshine. Although the graphite is easily removed you do not normally go round rubbing your labels.
You would not have to use Bleach to reuse the label.
Hope this helps.
JB.
Beryl
KG Regular

You can buy small machines that will punch out the labels for you but they can be expensive.

Staples and office suppliers stock them and possibly
Avery.

I make my own on the PC and laminate them then staple to a piece of dowling. They will last about 9 months before fading. For longer life cover with poly bag to keep the wet out.

Beryl.
Louise

I too use pencil for my labels, and use a brillo to remove any old lettering. Has anyone ever used a thermal label printer for plant labels, and if so which one?
Cherry

This year I am planning on using wooden lolly sticks for labelling - and using pencil. Does anyone know a source of these lolly sticks in small quantities?
Lainey

We use chopped up plastic milk containers and a chinagraph pencil. Seems to work really well.

Lainey
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

I too use pencil as it seems to work the best. You can always make lables out of an empty washing up liquid bottle or something similar.

Someone who used to be on the plot used one of those machines and, to be honest, it seems like a lot of faffing about. By the time you've punched in the letters and the things printed out, it's just as quick to write the label yourself. Also, the tapes seem to be expensive and how many times do you lose a lable in the soil?

Hope this is of help.
Lots of love

Lizzie
peat
KG Regular

when I went to college on a horti course, the first item we were told to buy was a 3b pencil to write the plant labels with. They always lasted longer than pen written ones.
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
Tony 2

I always use a black chinagraph pencil. It cleans off ok with a bit of white spirit at the end of the season.
LakeView
KG Regular

Hi,
You may not believe me, but don't use anything from a colour or grey-scale laser printer paper or even labels - or the packet of seeds: slugs and snails eat the surface and you're left with no label! Last year I used a pen on peel-off printer labels and in days the slugs had eaten some of the labels so I had no idea what the plants were until they were well-established or flowering (they were perennials grown from seed)! I was thinking of using old colour printouts in slug traps it was so effective!

LakeView

The answer has already been given Pencil on plastic plant labels.(or lollipop sticks come to that) its what they use at Kew.

Cherry, I wouldn't use lolly sticks if I were you. I used them one year and they all bleached in the sun & faded in the rain. Last year I bought a lot of copper labels for my fruit trees & bushes, and wrote heavily on them in pencil. They're still perfectly readable, and if the pencil wears off (it hasn't yet), then the indentations will still be legible. After years of affing around with cheaper labels, I wouldn't go back to them for all the kale on my plot (quite a lot, actually). :lol:
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks for all that. It seems the Bard nearly had it right - 2B but not 2B.
Allan
KG Regular

Plastic labels bought in bulk are only about 1p. each so after you have used both sides throw them out. For more permanent labelling I do it on my Brother p-touch labeller, the 5-layer tape is really permanent, not cheap but good.
I still keep black Chinagraph around.
Carole B.
KG Regular

If you want to be really posh you could paint all the names on big pieces of batten as seen in up-market mags!Does any one really do that or is it magazine 'picture-dressing'?
Carole.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic