what's the picture?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

taralastair
KG Regular

What is the picture at the top of the forum page? Are they nuts or nasturtium (spelling?) seeds. If they are N seed, how do you collect/preserve them? When should you harvest them? I think I've read you can use them like capers. I've got tons on the plot and would be good to put them to use as couldn't eat many of the flowers as were covered in blackfly in July.

Tara
Chantal
KG Regular

It looks like a jar of beans or capers possibly, given that those are nastursiams around the jar. Have a scrat through this month's KG 'cos the photo can usually be found in there. :D
Last edited by Chantal on Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

You can pickle Nasturtium seeds and use them like capers. They're very good. One word of warning though - don't use too many at a time in a recipe as they have rather a drastic effect on one's gastric system.
Marge
KG Regular

I thought all my nasturtiums had finished for the season about a week ago, and yet this week I have loads more in the borders - some with huge leaves (varigated and plain), and some beautiful flowers.

Who needs sun? :lol:
Reine de la cocina
taralastair
KG Regular

Yes mine have revived over the last few weeks. I think it's because all the black fly has gone. They have been very vigorous. Any tips from anyone re best way/time to harvest the seeds? Also, what is the "drastic gastronomic effect" and how many is too many?

Tara
Carole B.
KG Regular

If you search for Nasturtium seeds you will find a recipe I posted in July under "'ello" started by Marge.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic