Wood chips

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Tony T.

Is it ok to mulch my raspberries with woodchips, or will they cause nitrogen depletion? The woodchips have been stacked for about six months. Also, would it be ok to use them as a general mulch on the rest of the plot?
Thanks, Tony
Tigger
KG Regular

I use them everwhere, fruit, veg and flowers but put a layer of composted stuff and well rotted manure (from my farmer neighbour) on first, then the bark.
John
KG Regular

Hello Tony
I think woodchips decompose so slowly that any nitrogen depletion would be minimal. Anyway the depletion is only temporary as decomposition proceeds the N eventually becomes available again.
As far as raspberries go its surely too early to think about mulching them. Why not give them a good dressing of something with extra potassium in it ie a high K fertilizer or comfrey liquid and let the winter rains carry this into the soil around the roots. Save your mulch for later when their leaves are beginning to show and the soil is starting to dry out.

John
Chris
KG Regular

Hi Tony

After the gales last January I ended up with a lifetime supply of wood chippings - mostly Monterey Cypress. They were great for paths but used as a mulch they inhibitted the growth of strawberries, roses and vegetables. I'm not sure what the problem was but suspect resin in the chips.

The old forum provided some useful advice - like making sure they are properly composted before using on cultivated areas - but sadly there is no search facility to access these replies.

This year I will be more cautious and avoid using the chippings on soft friut and the veg. beds.

I look forward to other views.
Chris
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Chris,

There is now a Google based search faciltiy for the Archived Forum....

...It can be found here; http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/forum.php

If you try it with keyword Wood Chip it will find pages from the Archived Forum.

When I had a click and scroll back session recently (well it was snowing and I could not get on with my digging) I think there was a cut off point of about a years worth of archived pages.??..and it does not seem to find all subjects.. but it does seem to work much better now than it did when the searching idea was first mooted...

I am still getting the occasional mower enquiry direct to my e-mail that I previously posted on the old forum..found from old pages that seem to have been saved via Google Snapshot.??..rather than via the archive section.

All the best,
Clive.
Mr Potato Head

I did a bit of digging, and apparently, when we were given the old forum, there had been some serious 'pruning' taken place before we got hold of it.

It looks like we only have about the last years worth of postings prior to handover - so unfortunately those Google snapshots are the only records we have. If we manage to get hold of the whole forum, then obviously I'll put more of it online.
Chris
KG Regular

Hi Clive

I checked the search facility before posting and there is only one reference to wood chippings from a November post. The replies I remember were from the summer. But it's good to start afresh without the baggage (interesting as it was) from the past.

Best Wishes for 2006

Chris
Chris
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic