How big are allotments?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

DahlisMarie
KG Regular

Thank you too, Belinda. The toilet is interesting, as I hadn't thought about that. It must be very difficult if there is not one provided. It would probably bring a whole new meaning to the term "potting" shed :shock: .

I find this all so interesting, as the idea of allotments has never been done here as far as I know. The closest thing I think would be where people whose houses back onto railway lines in the suburbs of Sydney, many used to put in a gate in their back fence and dig an extra vegie bed on the railway embankments. They never had to pay anything of course, as it was just a convenience and the railways never objected. Probably would these days though.

So thank you all for the interesting information, Mike, The Grock, Chantal, Belinda and Weed. :) :) :) :) :)

And Weed your photo is inspiring me, we are putting in some extra beds in the old sheep paddock at the side and after seeing your "after" photo I am going to push for a setup like that.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

Hi again D/M i know this is nothing to do with gardening,but you said your m.i.l lived on lime st off scotland road,are you sure about this as lime st is not off scotland road,scotie road as we call it has stanley road or st anns st running off either end,and lime st is full of old buildings with many pubs,shops, an old court(saint georges) the train station and the empire theater.my husband was brought up on stanly road and years ago there were lots of very poor familys in that area(have you read any books by helen forrister,she was brought up in this area and had a very hard life)tuppence to cross the mersey is her first book,its a good read if you enjoy finding out about the past.is your m.i.l still alive,may be she could tell you more things about were she lived.my joe(o/h)has an uncle who moved over to austrailia in the 40s or 50s when you paid 10 pounds for a ticket,he now has a sheep farm some where and lots of children,he came over about 5 yrs ago to see the family,but we never got too see him as we were on our hols at the time.sorry to blabber on,but i thought that may be a bit of the family history has been mixed up.would love to hear from you if you find out more,
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
DahlisMarie
KG Regular

The Grock in the Frock wrote:Hi again D/M i know this is nothing to do with gardening,but you said your m.i.l lived on lime st off scotland road,are you sure about this as lime st is not off scotland road,.......would love to hear from you if you find out more,

Sorry, I had it wrong :!: She was born in Collingwood St. which was off Scotland Rd. In the Scotland Ward. Collingwood St. disappeared in the 1970's I believe when the second Mersey Tunnel was built. She lived in Lime Street as a child for a while. My husband remembers his grandfather lived in a street behind the womens hospital which was in Myrtle St.
mil's mother lived in Ford St as a child and her father lived in Bond St as a child.
Her bother, & father were carters, with the big draft horses.
Some of Dave's cousins lived in Keeble St. Kensington and others in the Lord Darby Estate (this was in the 1950's).
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

nice one i live in the kensington area not a stones throw from were you mentioned,did the people who lived on Lord Derbys estate work for him?what did they do?p.s joes mum was brought up in the same street,collingwood,maybe she played with your m.i.l as children,after all they say its a small world. :shock:
DahlisMarie
KG Regular

Hi, the Lord Derby estate was a housing estate I believe, so probably long gone now.
Yes, it is a small world for sure.......... :)
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

no hun the lord derbys estate is not an estate as your thinking,it is a very big place withlots of land and a mansion on it,its still there now,lord derby had lots of servants working for him,he was one of the top knobs in liverpool
DahlisMarie
KG Regular

Dave says there was a housing estate near Aintree racecourse called the Lord Derby estate. He used to visit his cousins there regularly in the 1950's.
Perhaps Lord Derby had given the land for it.
It is probably long gone now and replaced. :)
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

oh right,ive never hered of it but it must have been there,i'll have to do some fishing around. :D
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

DahlisMarie, I have 4 pictures of my allotment in driest Bedford [but we had had some rain when they were taken]. As I suspected, however, I have no idea how to get them from the cd they are on onto this site. I'll keep on trying, but, if you are still interested, you can email me with your email address and I can send them to you [the cd rom has that facility]. Then you can see what an allotment looks like if you are more like me than like Weed!

My email is mike dot vogel at ntlworld dot com.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Chantal
KG Regular

Mike, I've just edited your email address so that you don't get hit by spam from bots trawling the site. Hope you don't mind and I hope DM can work it out. :lol: It's safer to PM email addresses than put them on here.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
peter
KG Regular

Dahlis, do as my signature says, and look through my blog archive and its accompanying photos.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
DahlisMarie
KG Regular

Got it, Chantal. Thanks. :)
redwillowrose
KG Regular

We have just applied to the council for an allotment, most of them have waiting lists, but hopefully we`ll be getting one in about a weeks time. They are giving notice to someone on the allotment site, as they haven`t been bothering with their plot. so it will be ours!
DahlisMarie
KG Regular

So will this be your first allotment? I had wondered how strict councils were if people didn't look after their allotment.
Congratulations, you are going to have a very busy time of it then :)
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Thank you for your consideration, Chantal. But what does "PM"ing mean?

And Redwillowrose, I envy your environment. When i first applied to the council here to get ontotheir waiting list, they just laughed at me. What waiting list? It seems Bedford is a bit of a dead area for enthusiasm, although I do know one or two people who might claim otherwise.

DM will get my pictures soon, but I would like to find out how to get them from the cd rom onto this forum.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic