Skin Irritation

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

spud
KG Regular

Hi All

Thought I should warn you all about a skin irritation I have picked-up following some weeding I was doing at the weekend. (apologies if this has already been covered before on the forum -but couldn't find reference during a search)

On Monday my forearm was red and sore and over the past few days has now become red raw and is now badly blistering - it's so impressive that my GP wanted to take a photo of it!

Having researched on the Internet it seems that Parsnip leaves are the cause. Parsnips (and Celery) are in the same plant family as Giant Hogweed. It is well publicised that Hogweed is to be avoided but nobody seems to know that Parsnip leaves can have a similar effect(hence this warning to you all)

I spent 30-45 minutes on Saturday weeding between my Parsnips and it seems that once your skin has been in contact with the leaves, any exposure to bright sunlight then has a violent burning effect on the skin. I understand however not all people are similarly effected, but be careful if touching parsnip leaves -it is very painful!

cheers

Spud
Weed
KG Regular

Thanks for the reminder Spud....My Governor is affected by conifers...when she comes into contact them whilst weeding or trimming her symptoms are similar
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Chantal
KG Regular

There was a letter, with photos, about this in KG a couple of years ago and I've been ultra cautious about parsnips ever since. The parsnips this guy talked about had gone to seed; am I right in thinking that yours hadn't gone this far? I've not worried about weeding parsnips so far, just been careful with the seeded ones. :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
spud
KG Regular

Hi Chantal

No my parsnips have not gone to seed yet. They are however growing quite close together in a raised bed and therefore it is impossible to weed using a hoe. I spent 20-40 mins with my arm elbow deep amongst the leaves. It doesn't seem to affect everybody, so perhaps you are ok.

If someone can tell me how to attach a photo to a post, I'll post a photo of my arm with it's lovely blisters!

cheers

Spud
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Spud

Go to viewtopic.php?t=25 and have a read through. This sorted me out, eventually. Can't wait for the photos :shock:

I've told so many people about this and they've thought I was exagerating or just crazy; evidence at last! :D
Chantal

spud
KG Regular

Hi Chantal

Thanks for the instructions. I won't get a chance to post the photo until the weekend. Don't worry it really is true! I'm having to wear a long sleeve shirt to avoid putting my colleagues off their lunch!

cheers

Spud
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Yesterday I was at Pembrey Country Park which is just outside Llanelli. There are notices all over the park about the dangers of skin irritations due to Wild Parsnips.
Kerrij
KG Regular

Sounds nasty - I did not know about this one.

But then given that out of my entire seed packet I got a grand sum on ONE germinated parsnip... I doubt it will get me this year.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Thanks for your concern, Spud - and Chantal too. I have to say that I've had no problems handling my parsnips, leaves and all. Could it be that whatever you handled may have been wild or previously treated with some sort of chemical [not by you of course]?

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
spud
KG Regular

Hi Mike

What I handled was the parsnips that I sowed this year. Certainly not anything wild and I don't use chemicals.

I have resarched on the net and there are many medical articles suggesting that Parsnips can cause problems. This is also mentioned on the RHS website. Some of the artciles do however say that it only affects some people - so I must be unlucky.

I came into contact with the parsnips last Saturday whilst weeding and 7 days later I still have approx. 30 blisters on my right arm - they are healing but my arm is very itchy.

I certainly won't be tocuhing parsnips again without gloves and long sleeves!

cheers

Spud
spud
KG Regular

Hi all

As requested, here is a photo of my arm. It got so bad this week, that I ended up in Casualty and spent 3-4 hours on a drip receiving steroids and antibiotics - it is improving slowly but I still have large blisters on my arm.

Sorry the photo is not rotated but I have jsut worked out how to post photos and clearly need more practice!

cheers

Spud

[img][img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l188/spudgreen/IMG_0732.jpg[/img][/img]
Chantal
KG Regular

Blimey Spud, I hope you're soon feeling better. :? Taje care.
Chantal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic