T & M seed BARGAINS at Wyevale, 25p per packet!!!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Deb P
KG Regular

OOOh, I've just been very naughty!

Was in my local Wyevale garden centre this morning (must admit, don't often go as expensive), and they have LOADS of veg (and flower)seeds at 25P per packet!!! Including usually expensive stuff like Sungella toms, all expire 2007, some 2008. I had to be dragged away by my 9 year old son ("Step AWAY from the vegetable seeds Mum!")or I would still be there now.....go get 'em!!! :D
vivie veg
KG Regular

I tend to shy away from seed in garden centres, the sort where they sit for mouths on end in greenhouse conditions. Although they may be in foil sealed wrapper they are still subject to the high temperatures that can be reached and I'm convinced that it can't be good for the germination rate.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Tigger
KG Regular

Sorry Viv, but at 25p a packet - why worry?
Deb P
KG Regular

I've just worked it out; I bought £54.50 worth of seeds (at the back of the packet prices)for £7; at that rate I think I can afford a few potential germination failures eh! :)
vivie veg
KG Regular

Tigger,

Isn't it disappointing though when you lovingly tendered seeds don't germinate? Especially if you wait say 3 or 4 weeks and have then missed the sowing season or don't get your harvest when you want it. And then there is the hassle of going out and buying a replacement at the eleventh hour.

Alan Roman has an increasing range of seed at 50p per packet, postage free for orders over ?£10? I found them to be excellent for smaller quantities of seed, although I tend to buy my bigger quantities from Commercial seed houses. I also have lots of seeds given to me or freebies off magazines.

Last year and this year I have used a packet of Purple Sprouting Brocolli that I have had for 10 years (opened) and it is still germinating OK. I keep it in a 2 litre icecream tub in the utility room, generally no heating unless very cold and then only enough to keep the frost out!
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Diane
KG Regular

Well, I went a bought a handbag full today - for practically nothing. Something will grow for sure. The basil that I planted this year all grew and that was years old.

Fingers crossed for next year anyway :roll:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic