Village fete.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Been going flat out at the big house today, as we have got our village fete there tomorrow.
It's quite a big garden so it's really kept me busy getting it just right.
It's the same fete that i used to go to when i was a boy, so that shows you how long it's been going. :shock:
It always seems to be the same people that end up running the stalls, infact a couple of them where running the stalls when i was a boy.
I think my favorite is bowling for a pig, they still had a real pig up until about twenty years ago, but now it's a really good food hamper.
Have just been sorting them a load of plants out for the plant stall.
Hope the weather keeps nice.
Does anyone else help or go to a village fete :?:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello O'H',
We had our "Summer Fete" last Sunday...the only Sunday when the Big House is open (it is open every Wed' afternoon, April-Sept..)we had the regular plant stall plus another inc' bric a brac from which funds went to greenhouse repair fund, tombola, 3 bowling games, Alford Silver Band, teas run by local Macmillan fund raising team...
Perhaps smaller than your event.??!!..the bowling prize was smaller :oops: ...
.. it has been a regular for many years..to benefit various causes.

The "Ski Roll" bowling alley is no doubt years old..with many add on brackets to hold the ancient planking together...and plenty of paint helping too..!!

Next event is the evening walk with the gardeners.. next Wednesday evening..when historically it rains.!!...'cept we have moved it a week later to fool the weather.??..we hope.!! I am already starting to fret over my ability to forget the name of the commonest plant...
...ask me what tateys I'm growing or the serial number of the big mower..and I might get on better.. :wink:

All the best,
Clive.
Zena
KG Regular

I love village fairs!!
It's one of the things I miss most now that I live in a town.
My favourite stall is the bric a brac/white elephant. I love rummaging around in other people's "rubbish" and finding something I must just have!!
I bet you have some really posh bric a brac round your way, Old H?!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

What a brilliant day, had a really good turn out for the fete and made over fourteen hundred pounds for the church.
I got some lovely compliments about the garden, what i thought was very nice.
I gave the millionaires wife a personal guided tour round the grounds, which i bet she won't forget in a hurry. :wink:
Well thats that for another year.
Zena, there was quite a lot of silver, Royal Doulton and other antiquities, and a set of tesco plastic plates on the posh bric a brac stall.
Zena have you ever been to Coton Manor in Guils borough. :?:

Zena
KG Regular

Just catching up........

glad it was a success Old h.

I've never been to Guilsborough - what's there? would they let me in??

Ps what were you doing logged on at lunchtime?? shouldn't you have been out in the garden? or wooing some village girl down the pub??
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning my dear Zena, Coton Manor at Guilsborough is meant to have a really stunning garden. I was hoping you might have been so you could have told me if you thought it would be up to my very high standards, if so i might pay the place a visit.
I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms, by the way. :wink:
As for being logged on at lunchtime, even i stop and take a spot of lunch now and again. :shock:
Wooing some village girl down the public house, now that is a pleasant thought :wink:
Weed
KG Regular

Hi OH

Coton Manor...is that the place in Northamptonshire?

If it is then its only about twelve miles from me... guess what I have never been :oops:
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Weed, yes it is in Northamptonshire, maybe you could meet the delightful Zena there. :shock: :wink:

Weed
KG Regular

I will have to talk my Governor into us paying visit in the near future...I am sure she be only too pleased...

Its so funny how you pass places, see the signs, and never bother to go...busy....busy
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic