Strawberry bargain.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

Popped into Homebase last night and picked up six strawberry plants for £2.49 (actually got 24 for £9.96) = half marked price !
This Friday is 10% extra discount too - hurry up there were not many left !
Jenny Green
KG Regular

What variety were they Trevor? Does it say?
Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

Elsanta and halmi (something like that - I can check tonight).
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Thanks. I'm looking for some strawberry plants. I'll look up the varieties tonight.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Trevor and Jenny,
Could the variety be Haneoye. Moles Listed them in the Commercial Catalogue at £21.00. for 50 which is about what you bought them at so it is a good buy.
JB.
peterf
KG Regular

Trevor Holloway wrote:Popped into Homebase last night and picked up six strawberry plants for £2.49 (actually got 24 for £9.96) = half marked price !
This Friday is 10% extra discount too - hurry up there were not many left !

well, used to grow stawberrys many a moon ago,went through the sketch of kids breaking in wrecking the place.then a big organisation took over a fruit farm 12 miles away in hexhamshire.it sells totally organic produce,the prices would scare a multi millionare away.brief example (1 swede £1.20)(1 cabbage £1.50)
(6 carrots £1.10)(cup of tea 1.10 )( coffee £1.60).so at least twice a year we visit and pretend to be posh,pick up our soft fuit containers on the way in.we then spend the next 2 hrs gorgeing ourselves on some fine fruit. walk back down to the weigh in centre and hand back your empty fruit containers,walk into the farm shop look at all the cheeses and marvel at the prices.this buisness used to be family run and was well supported by the people of northumberland,big brother came in and bought it.now only alan shearers missus and loads of footballers wives can afford to shop there.i would'nt care most of what they sell i would compost.
Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

Second variety is Halpi.

Similar memories of having sunday lunch and then the whole family would go strawberry picking for pudding, six of us would end up with about 2lb of fruit between us at the counter!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic