snow anybody

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peterf
KG Regular

hi all, supposed to be some snow on the way anybody seen it yet.-5 in the small greenhouse at the moment :lol:
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

It started snowing here about an hour ago and it's coming down steadily. The roads around are already quite white and it looks like it will continue through the night here.

Dreading taking the dog to the park in the morning as he has this thing about snowmen. He seems to want to attack them for some reason. He's usually a very good dog but snowmen bring out the worse in him. Those and those stupid little motorbikes. He hates them. He has been closked at 35 mph chasing one.

Anyway, it all looks very pretty with the snow around but not as beautiful as being in the countryside when the weather's like this.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I'm off for a cup of hot chocolate as it's bloody freezing.
Lots of love

Lizzie
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

I get my neighbours newspapers when he's done with them so I'm a day behind but I had to laugh at 1 of yesterdays front page headlines "Millions battle the snow" It went on to imply there was a virtual state of emergency south of Watford Gap with civilisation as we know it on the brink of collapse!!! I know its been a quiet christmas for news (thank god - we didnt want a repeat of last years tragedies) but some of the media seem to have lost the plot a bit this time - some TV news reports were so bizare - I had to check the Radio Times to check I wasn't watch a 'spoof'news programme. :lol:
Anyway - just a light dusting here on the north staff, north salop border but its bloody cold - themometer min was -7 about 9pm tonight.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
No sign here yet of the new Westerly snow...we've got enough of the Easterly type from the other day still in stock.!!...

That makes it sound like I don't like the stuff any more.??!!
It looked pretty though yesterday morning..

Once upon a time (undisclosed time ago) it was the only day I liked getting up early and going to school in the snow.!!..

The Headmaster would stand there in assembly and say;... "I've phoned RAF Manby and they tell me that there are likely to be moderate accumulations over the Wolds..and that no doubt means as much to you as it did to me.??"

We knew :wink: ...It meant we were going home after first break.. :D

All the best,
Clive.
Last edited by Clive. on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
peterf
KG Regular

hi,the snow we get up here in durham isnt a patch on anything we used to get.it seems like the met office issue severe weather warnings for fun these days,might have something to do with getting caught out in 1987 with a little hurricane :lol:
Clive.
KG Regular

I was delivered just in time for the 1962/63 Winter...I don't actually remember it..but it is oft' quoted to me..

Clive.
lizzie
KG Regular

The snow has gone from here now. It rained through the night and washed it away. It's still bloody cold though. It's a day for the thermal vest and long johns to come out.

My brother soesn't know why this country comes to a standstill as he served in the Falklands and he said that was snow like he'd never seen.

Over in Toronto there's about 10 inches of snow and the country carries on like nothing has happend.

My sister in law stayed up to watch the snow as she's Peruvian and it's a real novilty to her. She loves it and was upset because there wasn't enough to make a snowman!! Bless her, she's such a sweetie.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
The SW batch of Snow arrived here in E. Lincs about 8am..great big wet flakes instead of the dry snow of the previous batch.
It turned to fine frozen rain...then back to snow and for a while very cold wet rain.!!..about fine at present with much snow still lying.

Not a day for venturing out far..so instead a day of filing bits of paper, magazines and deep hoovering of my junk cluttered abode :roll: ..would much rather be completing some digging in cold but dry..!!

My weather wotsit gadget is at least showing a positive figure today; 0.9 C

All the best,
Clive.
Carole B.
KG Regular

We had about 10 mins of snow last night at around 8pm then it went wet,wet,wet,wet,cold and wet.......I'm starting to get cabin fever and need a lottie fix.
Carole.
nog
KG Regular

We had about an inch two days ago and 10thou this morning. Still I am off so I was all snuggled up under the quilt all toasty.
richard p
KG Regular

got euro news running on the box, seems there is snow and chaos right accross from france through germany , poland, hungary. just warm and damp here in somerset. its so mild here the heating hasn't cut in at all this evening, bit of a change from yesterday when we had a dusting of snow late afternoon.
jane

Well none of your stories are anything like the truth here in rural east Leics. We've had snow since Tues and nothing apart from tractors on our single track road. It looked like Clive's picture of Lincolnshire - beautiful with snow lying on the tree branches. We went sledging and walking. Then yesterday the gritter passed and someone said the road was open, so in a foolhardy way we ventured out to the sales. On our way back we got within 500 yds of home and got stuck on a slight hill, wheels spinning and engine stalling. Nothing feared, we'd brought 2 bags of sand in the boot. 5 stops later and 2 bags of sand used up, we held our breath as we topped the slope and the car actually ran down the other side. Abandoning it and walking wasn't an option because it was a single track road and it wouldn't move anywhere - not even onto the verge.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,

A little bit more colour has returned today...

Clive.
peterf
KG Regular

nice one clive,its all just about gone up here happy new year to you and everyone on this forum :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic