What is your very, very favourite book ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Jenny Green
KG Regular

Been thinking about this one for a while.
I suppose the way you tell is the books you've read loads of times? Then mine must be Lord of the Rings too. I keep having children just so I can have an excuse to read it aloud again (along with the Chronicles of Narnia, The Once and Future King - makes me cry, that one - and lately the His Dark Materials trilogy). I loved the films though. Peter Jackson and I must have similar imaginations.
Other books I've read several times are Rebecca and Wuthering Heights. I also love Tristram Shandy, but that's a bit of an acquired taste.
I'm dying to read some Elaine Morgan at the moment who's written some controversial books on human evolution, but my local library doesn't stock them. :x
If they aren't on eBay I'm going to have to actually pay full price. :shock:
angelfish
KG Regular

I think one of my favourites is Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon, read it many times. :D
Marge
KG Regular

Gardening book: Anna Pavord 'The New Kitchen Garden'

Novel: Harry Potter series, I know I'm probably too old for them, but I don't care :P
Reine de la cocina
Allan
KG Regular

I have a copy of Plants in Action by Alan Hibbert & Judy Brooks. It is the most helpful book on the scientific side that I possess. It is 25 years old, it might be out of copyright. there are several copies available secondhand on the net, at under £10, worth a lot more than that if you want to understand plants.
ISBN 0 563 16446 8

Allan
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

lizzie wrote:Non fiction would have to be Bono on Bono by Mishka something (can't spell his surname) A facsinating insight into an extremely intelligent, complex, creative man.

Hi Lizzie, d'ya know, after seeing your recommendation I got this from Amazon. It's taking me a while to get through it (not the book's fault - I've had a few distractions this Summer) but I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks for the tip.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
lizzie
KG Regular

Glad you're enjoying it Garlic Guy. He is such a bundle of complexity and contradictions. But the book does give a real insight into this complex man.

There's a new one coming out on 22 September, U2 by U2. Each of the band members, including Paul McGuiness, their insight of being in this band. It's in their own words and covers the last 30 years. I have read some extracts in the Times over the last week and it seems to be quite promising.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic