Piccalilli - help

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

Does anyone have a really good recipe for piccalilli? I've just made a batch but had no end of problems as the specified amount of vegetables far exceeded the amount of vinegar and spices. I therefore had to go back and make another whole batch of vinegar and spices to cover the veg in the jars. I presume uncovered veg would just go mouldy? I'm therefore not optimistic about how the piccalilli will either taste or keep.

I'm posting this in the Chatter section as I'm not convinced that everyone looks in the other sections. If I get some good looking suggestions I'll copy them over to the Recipes section.

Happy New Year everyone.

Chantal
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Hi chantal
I have used a Delia Smith recipe for nearly 15 years and have won 4 1st prizes over the years at the local show with it. - Makes 5lb (2.25kg)
2 medium Cauliflower divided into 1" florets; 1lb small onions quatered and cut across
2 pints malt vinegar (I use distiled for a clearer yellow colour)
1/2 whole nutmeg grated
1/2 tea sp. allspice
1 cucumber peeled and diced
1lb runner beans cut into largeish slices
12oz castor sugar
2 cloves garlic crushed with 3 tea sp. salt
1oz of termeric powder
2oz dry mustard powder
6 level table sp. plain flour
5 additional table sp. malt vinegar
3 table sp. water
1.Place cauli, onion and 2 pints vinegar in large saucepan, add nutmeg amd allspice and bring to boil - cover and simmer for 8 mins.
2.Stir in cucumber, beans garlic & salt paste and sugar and bring to simmering point again and cook for 5 mins - the veg should be slightly crisp so dont over cook at this point.
3.set a colander over a large bowl and strain the contents of the pan reserving the hot vinegar.
4. Mix mustard, turmeric and flour together in a bowl then gradually work in the additional table sp's of vinegar and the water to make a loose paste.
5. Add a ladleful of the hot vinegar - stir and transfer to a saucepan.
6. Bring to the boil the liquid to the boil whisking with a ballon whisk and gradually adding the remainder of the hot vinegar. Boil gently for 5 mins.
7. transfer the veg from the caulender into the large bowl and pour the sauce over it.
8 stir well to mix and spoon into heated, warmed and dried screw top jars.
Keep for 3 months before opening.
(From Delia Smiths complete Illustrated Cookery Course 1991)
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
From what you have posted it does not sound like you are making piccalilli,when you make piccalilli you mix the veg and the vineger/spices together then pour the lot into your jars after it has been cooked.

This Reccipe is from the Sarson's booklet Perfect Pickles which you can get from Crosse and Blackwell when you buy Sarson pickling vineger all you do is collect the labels,send them off and you get the booklet Perfect Pickles, I reccomend it.

Ingredients
900g (2lb) prepared and diced vegetables, eg Cucumber, Courgettes, pickling onions,Cauliflower,marrow,green beans,green tomatoes.( it is upto you what you want to use)
125g (5oz)Salt
75g (3oz)caster sugar
15ml (1tbsp) dry mustard
5ml (1tsp) Ground Ginger
600ml (1pint) C&B Sarson's pickling malt vineger
25g (1oz) cornflower
15ml (1tbsp)Turmeric

Method
layer the Vegetables and salt in a large colander,cover and leave for 24 hours,Rinse then dry on kitchen paper, mix sugar, mustard and ginger with 450ml (3/4pint)vineger in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes. Blend cornflower and Turmeric with remaining vineger, stir into the vegetables and boil for 2 minutes.Pack into warm, sterilised jars,seal,label and store for 1 month.
Were it say's to cover the veg with salt I have found it better to wet brine the veg by making a brine solution.you cover the veg with this along with a plate to make sure that vegables remain under the solution and again leave for 24 hours.

Hope this helps

Kevin
Chantal
KG Regular

Thank you Sue and Kevin, I shall have a go with both recipes. I did have everything in the pan together Kevin but when I filled the jars the vinegar mix went to the bottom of the jar leaving half the veg uncovered. It was a Vogue recipe (from my sister's cook book, it's not my usual reading material)and I have some serious doubts about it. I may be suprised when I try it - I do hope so!

Thanks again

Chantal
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
perna
KG Regular

Hi there,

I saw turmeric written in two of the posts in here. What precisely does turmeric taste like? Is there anything with a similar taste?
Read some claims regarding turmeric benefits, as well as details on side effects.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic