Path Coverings

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

spud
KG Regular

Hi

I am building raised beds on my allotment and am covering the paths with weed suppressing fabric. What is the best thing to cover the fabric with? Bark or woodchips or gravel?

Where is the best place to buy cheap bark/wood chips?

Any advice appreciated
Last edited by spud on Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinflint

Good grief! Don't buy 'em! Seek out your local tree surgeon/landscaper and ask them if they have any wood chippings/shreddings they could let you have - I've got loads this way. They're usually very happy to get rid of the stuff and will even deliver it to you for nothing.
spud
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice.

I was trying to avoid buying any, but wasn't sure if tree surgeons would give some away - I'll try phoning some locally.

Many thanks
janeE

The other place to get woodchips is to wait until after Christmas and your local tip or council probably will be recycling Christmas trees and will let you have chippings.

Don't use gravel -1. It's so permanent 2. can also be slippery. The other two mulch down eventually.
ianh

And why bother buying weed suppressing fabric - I've used thick layers of newspaper under wood chips very successfully. Don't, however, use the glossy Sunday mags - they get slippery underfoot.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi all

Why not try your local council garden peeps. They may be glad to get rid of it as they only put it into landfill sites. Walk around they local parks until you see them working somewhere and tell them you'll slip them a few quid for a drink if they'll deliver.
Lots of love

Lizzie
peterf
KG Regular

hi spud,i too have turned all my plot into raised beds.the paths between are mulched using bales of barley straw (£1 a bale).it works very well and when it gets a bit grubby i rake it up and compost it,then replace it with fresh straw.give it a try i think you will be impressed.peterf
minky

I find that newpaper and grass clipping does a good job instead of weed supressed fabricy stuff
I agree gravels no good it can be slippery if you can't find wood shaving from the councill tree surgon ect. I'm sure Mole valley wood have alf ton bags of the stuff
Minky[/quote]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic