figs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Hi all,
I`m putting together my fruit trees/bushes etc on the allotment,and have a space left for something or other.I was out with my wife shopping and came across a small fig tree and was tempted into buying it for a massive £3-,any do or don`t advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks and "all the best!"
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Do plant it somewhere warm and sunny.
Do be cruel or it'll produce leaves and no fruit.
Do constrict the growth of the roots by planting it in a two foot square hole bounded by paving slabs at the sides and old rubble at the bottom.
Do pick off any fruit larger than a pea in the autumn.
Don't bother with any pruning for the first few years.

Can't think of anything else but I'm sure other contributers will have other advice to add.
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Hey, we have literally, LITERALLY just all finished planting our fig tree!!! We have planted ours in a pot on a sunny south facing wall. As mentioned by Jenny, they don't fruit unless you restrict the root run. Our tree has been planted in John Innes No 3, in a 24" teracotta pot.

What sort of fig is it? Brown Turkey is supposed to do quite well in this country.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply folks,and i will follow it.
I`ll reply with the breed of fig soon Maz`.

Thank`s again.
Guest KMARK

Hi all,
Yes the breed of this fig tree is "Brown Turkey",- it is approx` 18 inches tall,and cost three quid :lol:

Again thanks,
Regards,
Mark.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic