Gardening is just a retirement hobby

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Happymouse
KG Regular

I have lost track of the number of people I have heard say "I hate gardening - isn't gardening just a retirement hobby" What a load of *!*!*
jopsy
KG Regular

Erm I'm nowhere near retirement age
I think you can garden at any age!
:D
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Rubberman
KG Regular

People who have that opinion are probably the type who are going to be getting excited by this football thing that is apparently coming up. Personally, I find watching my courgettes growing a whole lot more interesting! And I'm nowhere near retiring either!

:lol:
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Allan
KG Regular

I started at a very tender age, I have been learning ever since, over about half a century. If I hadn't had all that experience I would not have coped with my vastly expanded current situation. It's never too late to learn, on the other hand it's never too early to begin, even if it's only mustard and cress and a rhubarb root bought in Woolworths with pocket money those many years ago. The fruits of success are very sweet, a wise man can learn a lot from the failures.
Retirement, what is that, I seem to have missed that one out somewhere. Must go, strawberries for supper yet again.
Allan
jopsy
KG Regular

rubberman i'm with you on the courgette watching :D
as for those blasted flags littering the highways and byways :?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very nicely put Allan.
I think attitudes are starting to change for the better, there seems to be a lot more youngsters getting into gardening, isn't that right Jopsy. :wink:
I think i will buy myself a full size flag pole. :shock: :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
jopsy
KG Regular

Aghghghghgh
No No No
Herby I thought you were better than that! (They are 99P buy one get one free in WHSmiths-i saw them; but did not buy any) :lol:
peter
KG Regular

Walking up Wood Green High Road (near Tottenham North London) this morning I saw a biker with an eight inch flagpole, complete with folded handkerchief sized flag, firmly glued to the top of his helmet. :shock:

I do not think I will glue a flagpole to my helmet. :oops:

Chantal go and lie down in a quiet dark room.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

I have now had to take my beautiful painting down from above the kitchen fireplace to make way for the World Cup Wallchart and the flag will be out of the bedroom window tonight. The car still looks like it's owned by Coco the Clown but, hey, it's a small price to pay to keep him happy. The tension in the house re the World Cup is such that I dare not speak if the news is on in case something has happened and I'm hiding in the greenhouse and on the lottie quite often. It'll all be over in a month :shock:

Now, where's that darkened room...
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Zena
KG Regular

I dream of retirement, but have got a long way to go unfortunately! It would be nice to have all that extra time.... :lol: (though I've often wondered - why do pensioners insist on going shopping in the lunchtime rush, when I'm trying to get everything done and back to the office in an hour?)
Jude
KG Regular

The way I look at it is, on Saturday it's England's first game, he's happy to be at home probably enjoying a beer or two and therefore unable to drive for a while. Ergo, I have peace and quiet and the use of the car to go to the plot for a good long time without a lot of moaning!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Chantal
KG Regular

I have yet to have a complaint about the amount of time I spend at the lottie so I'm lucky and having to cope with the World Cup is a small price to pay for a good life. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

If you add up all the crap gardening programmes that have accumulated over the last 4 years don't begrudge others their pleasure for 4 weeks every 4 years.
The world cup is special, maybe not you, but it is to a great amount of people. You do not have to watch any of it simply watch another channel or have the guts to turn the bloody infernal machine off altogether. But for the good Lords sake stop moaning!
JB.
lizzie
KG Regular

I'm probably in danger of pouring oil on water here (Mr PH, have you got a match :twisted: ) but here goes.

All those people who put flags on cars/outside houses ect, do any of them do the same for St Georges Day? There are some here that have gone mad. One house in the street with 12 flags hung all over the place!!!

I've got no objection to people enjoying football. It's just that the media seem to think that everyone likes it and we have it rammed down out throats.

I'm gutted that Top Gear isn't on for 4 weeks cos of the bloody football. Well gutted.

Think i'll stand back now and phone the fire brigade
Lots of love

Lizzie
lizzie
KG Regular

Sorry Happymouse, didn't reply to your comment.

Are these the type of people who sit at their desk eating pot noodles and McD's and complaining that they're fat?

We have the winning deal mate. They just don't have the brains to think of the wider benefits of growing your own stuff.

I was speaking to someone today who asked what smelled so nice, coming out of my house. I said it was lasagna we were having from dinner. She asked which packet i'd used!!!! :shock:

I told her it was home made, without addatives and was vegetarian. She didn't know you could make it from scratch. Her kids live on chicken nuggets and processed shit. The kids were in mine playing and they didn't know what an apple was. They said they diddn't have fruit and green stuff in their house. :? :?
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic