Gardening is just a retirement hobby

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Allan
KG Regular

I don't object to coverage of the football in terms of hours of broadcasting, but I do object strongly to its positioning as part of general news not only that but in preference to all other sports and pastimes of which there are thousands. What about hockey, tiddlywinks, angling, snail racing, for that matter allotment gardening, when did any of those have this preference. The only other sports that get anywhere near this in preferential treatment are tennis and snooker that I can think of, but that is only very occasionally. Keep sport news to sport programmes and let those who aren't interested hear about the day's proper news in peace, a few more moments of weather forecast to cover rain and wind data wouldn't come amiss.
Allan
jopsy
KG Regular

JB are you in a grumpy old man mood?
I don't mind people watching footy; but it is everywhere...
Happymouse maybe you ought to give these so called youngsters non retired types some of your produce to sample?
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm happy to live with the World Cup, and I will even watch the England games, as it makes so many people happy; a rare thing in this country these days. When England wins a game there is a huge feel-good factor that affects so many people. There's so much shit going on in the world today that to have a huge number of people involved in something (mostly) non-violent is fantastic and yes Lizzie, I do have a flag for St George's Day. :lol:

I also live (as most of you know by now) with someone who lives and breathes football (and golf.) He's been bouncing around so much recently that he could out do Tigger and said to me yesterday that if England win the World Cup, it'll take him 10 years to get over it. :shock: I know him and he's not joking. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Given the choice, I'd rather see a lot of joy and euphoria over football on TV than another bombing, earthquake of photos of John Prescott's mistress. And I can always turn the TV off and go to the lottie for the next month. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Piglet
KG Regular

My workshop has sported a flag pole since it was built and it always has the Union Flag flying on it 365 days a year. It just reminds me that I actually live in England. I tolerate soccer and will watch the England games but I much prefer Football, a game for men not overpaid jessies.

As for gardening being for those who have retired, rubbish, I am under 40 and 60% of our plot holders are the same although the committee is made up of older folk (more time to do it).
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
Rubberman
KG Regular

Whoops! :o

Looks like I sparked a debate about the rights and wrongs of football and flag flying. I didn't mean to - honest Mr PH.

I was just expressing a personal preference. If people want to enjoy other things, that's fine, just as long as they aren't interfering with anyone else.

Apologies if anyone was offended. :oops:
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Happymouse,
I started learning from my Grandfather from the tender age of 8 and took on a full plot in his Orchard the year I was 13. Now 63 years later I have enjoyed my retirement so I had better go and get myself a job according to the people you mention.
I will watch the football tomorrow but I will probably start work just after 4am so I will have been on the go for about 10 hours before it starts and when it is finished I will be off out again for a few hours. I work in the tunnel before things become uncomfortable then there is always something to do around the plot. Gardening and Growing is a hobby for life and there is something new that you learn every day and certainly a lot of retired people garden but it is not exclusive to them.
With the modern awareness of the whole situation more and more youngsters are helping their parents to produce good wholesome food. You cannot expect for them all to like it but they will go through their teens poking two fingers at it but when they marry and have a young family, for which, only the best will do. They, or a good percentage of them, will be back for sure if as parents we have done our job properly.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

How I wish it was!
Moan on a Friday at the end of a sunny week. Recently asked our HR what my pension entitlement would be if I left this year. They presented me with an estimate including the expected reduction for early retirement. Played with Excel for a bit and decided I could afford to finish so put in my notice, giving them 3 months when I only had to give 1 months notice. Rang me up at home that evening to say the calculation was discretionary and they have since said they won't let me go. Not highly motivated at the moment as you might guess.
On taking up gardening, is it nature (in the genes) or nurture? My parents always gardened and I have from an early age. I never knew my grandfathers but one was a farmer and the other retired to 1/3 acre garden where my parents also retired to so I think it got me both ways. It remains to be seen if my unmarried son in his twenties will move away from JB's two fingers, he did used to cut the grass once I bought a ride-on but I don't think that is such a good pointer. I think I'd get my early retirement through madness if I didn't have the garden to lose myself in.
richard p
KG Regular

ive been out this morning trimming overgrown hedges for a twenty something yuppy who hasnt got the time between work, pub and telly(sport and xbox games). this afternoon its off mowing for a pensioner who cant physically manage it any more but still likes to "supervise". personally i wouldnt mind if they never televised another football match or top gear for that matter , i mean how can you take seriously a man who likes cars that cant tow a caravan :twisted:
lizzie
KG Regular

I know you fly the fag on St Georges day Chatal, didn't know about Piglet, but the majority of people don't.

We have a few on the plot with flag poles. We currently have flying a Union flag, St Georges flag and a Skull and Crossbones( :shock: ) Fair enough.

I'm just fed up hearing about football on the news and someones broken pinkie. Who bloody cares?

I'll be glad when it's all over. People enjoy it, that's fair enough. I just don't see why the media has to ram it down our throats all the time. There are other sports that don't get a mention.

After that lot I think i'll audition for Grumpy Old Women. :lol:
Lots of love

Lizzie
lizzie
KG Regular

A friend of mine is a steward at LFC and she told about the time when they were cracking down on people swearing from the terraces. They were coming out with things like

"Referee, the lads and I are begining to question your parentage!!!"

"This game is turning into a large pile of bovine faceaes"

"Have you, Referee, been indulging in practices that have affected your sight?!"

She said her and the 12 police officers couldn't move for laughing. It was one of the best matches she has worked at
:twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chantal
KG Regular

Piglet, you said

"It just reminds me that I actually live in England. I tolerate soccer and will watch the England games but I much prefer Football, a game for men not overpaid jessies. "

Do you not mean you much prefer Rugby? :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
richard p
KG Regular

weve got all these primadonnas getting paid absurd amounts to chase a ball about, yet when one breaks a bone all is lost cos none off the others are good enough to take his place, something seems odd to me
mike1964
KG Regular

I ran over one of those England flags on the road the other day, hee-hee :twisted:
Anyway the way the old age pension retirement age is going we'd better get some gardening in now coz we're not gonna have long left after!
Compo
KG Regular

I must be a freak of nature! Watched both games tonight, watered the lottie, weeded a bit, listen radio 5 whilst I garden, so do the plants!! So I am an enigma I guess, aged 47 I have gardened for forty years with my parents and on my own and have always loved the sight of freshly tilled earth, rows (or blocks in my case) of veg and flowers, I do also like to see a nice green pitch, I love cricket and rugby, and I like people, hate pot noodles, tolerate big brother, think the internet is the best thing that ever happened...what does all that make me? Rounded I think....

Not too forget a good pint of bitter, chicken tikka and a good red wine.

I don't like racism, terrorism, biggotry narcissism or waste, unless of course it can be composted!!

LETS HEAR IT FOR ENGLAND!!!!

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
peter
KG Regular

We live in a country ;
to whose government we pay somewhat more tax than we should.
where the Welsh Police advise England supporters to remove the cross of St George from their cars before driving across the border.
where a flatmate of an overpriviledged junior lawyer gets appointed Lord Chancellor.
which committed a brave and honourable army to an illegal war.
which has given up protecting the good citizen.
which rewards the feckless and the criminal.
which may commit to nuclear power without debate.
which has already allowed commercially motivated GM crops to be grown against the wishes of the majority of the population.

part of a wider worldriven by conflict, hate and stupidity

and what is everyone talking about. :shock: :evil:

a collection of overpaid, young men, some without morals, most without sense, who manage to kick a 1lb lightweight beachball around an artificial lawn for eighty minutes or so, provided no opposition player gets within a few yards of them, when they fall over fiegning injury and who if they achieve the whole point of the game by getting the ball in the goal indulge in pathetic exultant displays.

It's only a game, there are one or two things more worthy of peoples attention and efforts.

PS if it rains I might get some dulux out, put it on the wall and watch it, it'll be better than the TV. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic