Back to Blighty at the end of this week

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

Because of Covid, Russian invasians, and effing Martian attacks (not really), we've not had much chance to take leave (holidays as most normal people would say). We could go to Thailand or Timbuktu for a break. Oh gee, it all seems like too much effort so we thought we'd just go to our own place in Kent. August is the "void" month when it's always empty of tenants. They can do repairs or whatever and we can stay there if we want.

Oh! Our lettings agent has rented out our home and didn't find it necessary to ask our permission nor even bother to tell us!!! We found this out after we'd made our plans. (Rolls eyes, raises eyebrows.) Now, I only want rest and relaxation so it was a case of coming up with a Plan B as quickly as possible. I thought we'd might like to stay in Whitstable for a week. My husband said good luck but you'll be lucky to find anything good there in the middle of August. Yeah, I know. But I am a very lucky lady! Even our fishmonger has commented on how many times I get something on the lottery.

So, I found a lovely looking place only two or three minutes walk from the harbour or High Street. LOL! It's fully booked up but not on our dates. Either it's a miracle or Lady Luck has scored again. :D

Just a few days... I'll be so glad to go. Fish n chips, pints of beer, (maybe oysters, I dunno but I'm trying to be sophisticated). Whitstable has some great charity shops too. And it's only 15 mins drive away from Canterbury. Oh wow. This could be great.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Letting agent letting out your home and not telling you. Methinks I smell a rat.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Oh well. Letting agent said he just assumed it would OK. What the heck gave him that idea I just don't knnow. Anyway we leave here at 9am tomorrow heading for the airport for our flight to London but my back is so sore I'm finding it hard to pack - can't cope with any bending. Having a glass of wine (a large one) now in the hope that'll act as a better pain killer.

Better look on the positive side - Whitstable has loads of great pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance of where we're staying.

Then we move house (Airbnb flat) again - third time since July - two days after we get back. :roll: Then I'm having a little party two days after the move. Crazy or what?
retropants
KG Regular

absolutely bonkers, but I hope you have a lovely break in Whitstable!
Stravaig
KG Regular

It's a nice place. But Whistable is very busy. It can be difficult to get a table in a restaurant unless you book ahead. Book ahead? Yeah, I should probably have reserved last year for places to eat this week.

My step-dad died. (He was a good dad to me over several decades.)
I've cracked a couple of ribs again. Didn't do anything in particular. It's just the osteoporosis problem.
I still have a head full of snot since getting Covid even though I seem to have recovered otherwise.
I didn't win anything on the lottery this week.

On the positive side, at least we're in Kent and our usual fishmongers are up to their usual standards. To heck with the local restaurants. I'll make skate wings with sage flavoured buerre noisette and Jersey Royal potatoes. No one in Whitstable will eat better than us this evening.

Sorry if I seem like a complete moaner. With all this moving from pillar to post it's not surprising that we don't have any friends. My social life consists of a visit to the fishmonger shop. I know, there are lots of people worse off than I am. Onwards and upwards. Back to Warsaw at the weekend and another house move. :)
Primrose
KG Regular

Dear Stravaig.
Sorry for your loss.
I,m in awe of the energy of all your comings and goings but perhaps it's time to slow down a little for a while with all your comings and goings and give yourself time to smell the roses?
Even if they don,t smell as pungent as the Whitstable oysters ?!
Stephen
KG Regular

I guess this is all at the behest of government.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Correct, Stephen.

No sane person would choose to live like this. Sometimes one just has to do what one's told. (But I'm getting a bit old for that - 64 next week.)

Normally I like the travel and adventure but I'm getting a bit tired. We've nothing on the horizon for the end of post (end of October this year) and I have to admit I'll be glad of the rest. Back to the UK for an extended stay of at least a few months. Of course that raises the next problem. Where the heck will we find somewhere to live? Has to be within commuting distance of London.

BTW, fish and chips? Hmm. The chips are like cotton wool and the best thing I can say about the fish is that it was mediocre. :( Forget the chippy. I'll do my own thing.
snooky
KG Regular

Hi Stravaig,
Enter Masterchef,win it,write a recipe book,become famous and rich.No need to travel and you could found your own proper Fish&Chip shop chain!!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic