Mid Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

Here I am...back again....this time via "new" PC at home .....I have moved up to the delights of 10 and whilst i have arrived here I'm ready to hit the new box with an axe. :shock: ....just like the day i got my first PC back in 1999......got some re learning to do.!

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You will get there, Clive….i’m the same, when it comes to keeping up with technology….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

No rain predicted on my phone weather for the next fortnight. I anticipate a hose ban at some point as with the amount of fires around here; (one right on the cliff top at Boscombe beach right above the beach huts), contained at the top so the goats that graze the cliff are doing their job well. These fires & fire brigade attendance will be draining the reservoirs.

Never mind, good for the guns to use the cans which might detract from the bingo wings! ;) And my neighbours grass will look just like mine then so I won't have the angst off lawn envy!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Driest year so far since 1976. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62303330

Here in the south east most especially. Hot too!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

clive I sympathise. Wouldn't it be nice to have a sympathetic private tutor to walk us through all these upgrades and new systems?
It's so frustrating going round in circles. I just wish systems could be left alone. I sometimes think the developers continually make upgrades to keep themselves occupied. It's been proved that most computer users probably use less than 20% of any of the computer facilities on their machines.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I agree. If you don't use something for a couple of weeks or so - maybe because life is happening around you - then you go back and discover that you have to learn everytthing from scratch again. Very frustrating but also quite sad. I liked it well enough before so why did you have to go and "improve" it all? Grrr. :evil:
Westi
KG Regular

On our local community page someone asked for information on best computer repair shop as theirs was being naughty. I was really surprised how many answered mostly reporting most computers have a 'life span' built into them not just wearing out but specific to fail & cost big to make you inclined to buy a new computer. Apparently Apple is the worse with only about 10 - 12 years life inbuilt, but other brands also popped up with complaints of memory used up with multiple unneeded up grades. Only the real anoraks would know how to stop these; I find swearing at the pop ups for these just doesn't work - it can't compute I don't want anything from iTunes or the App store!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the big providers do these unnecessary upgrades to force consumers to buy new products whixh most of us don,t want or need. Apple iPhones a case in point. It feeds a consumer frenzy for those who always use have the latest version of everything. What annoys me is that software companies stop providing support for products which are really useful for ordinary like Quicken for keeping domestic accounts.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Primrose. I am lucky, Granddaughters boyfriend is a computer wizard [well everyone is compared with me ] Must say he does look at me with compassion in his eyes. :roll: :roll:
Primrose
KG Regular

On another topic I,ve read that Sea levels are rising much faster than a century ago, according to the Met Office's annual look at the UK's climate and weather.

If we have surplus sea water about to invade some of our coastal areas and yet we can look forward to future years of water shortage, droughts and hosepipe bans why arn't we planning to harvest this surplus seawater and build desalination plants so we can nharvest all this free rising water.

Who in government is planning to join up the dots? Wrere an island, for goodness sake and surrounded by the stuff. Why arn't we planning to make use of it. (or is this a stupid question ?)
Geoff
KG Regular

If you fancy a bit of reading just google "how much energy does it take to desalinate water" for all sorts of articles.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I agree primrose we are surround buy water and there is a water shortage, we let all the rain water go into the sea rather than collecting it and just look at Spain I believe they can do it a lot cheaper than we can.

Anglia water rep said there is plenty of water on tv the other day, bet she/he is on a re-education course.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well I guess water authorities might have to build new resevoirs to store the water.
And the housing developers and local authorities might want that area of land for house building to meet their own targets.
And the transport authorities might decree a new road needs to be built through it to improve connectivity.

And every time a proposal for anything is made there would have to be a long delay to allow for public consultation, which probably goes to Court delaying the process even longer.

You get to see why no infrastructure project ever takes off in a hurry in this democratic country!
In places like China, the government just decides some new big project needs to happen and it get railroaded through, and if it's your house, your farm or whatever, that's just bad luck. Nobody every gets to inherit an unbuilt country from scratch to dictate what the infrastructure will need to be in 100 years time. The future has a nasty habit of throw up unexpected surprises like climate change or population overgrowth which can frustrate all forward planning.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

There used to be a de-salination plant on Jersey, we used to fish for the Mullet in the hot water outfall.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Over housing is the problem really. They are building on land that is essential to producing crops - house or feed?? I'm afraid feeding wins - we can survive without a roof but not without food. I could rant about the second/third house some folk have but not really their fault either as made way too easy to purchase.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic