I am awful fed up

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

Yeah, I know there's people much, much worse off than I am. But I just want to go home to the flat where all my belongings are - my clothes, books, whatever. I know it's not a big deal. But I find life a wee bit difficult without my stuff.

I want to go home.

I'm fed up of moving from temporary accommodation from here to there and all over the place.

Well, we just have to get on with it I suppose. At least we've not been shot dead.
Primrose
KG Regular

Stravaig, I suppose we,re all creatures of habit and to be deprived of our normal way of life is distressingly unsettling. is somebody responsible for locating your accommodation or are yiu having to sort it out for yourselves. Constant disruption must be very distressing.

Who decides when you can go back? The daily news is so difficult to interpret and predict what is likely to happen going forward. I guess the only positive things you can do is try and enjoy what the UK has to offer as we progress through summer.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,

Many thanks for your response.

It doesn't look like we'll be going back any time soon - if ever. We pretty much get to choose our own accommodation within some very strict financial limits. It's a lot less than ideal, but what makes it worse is the short notice we get, by which time most half-decent places are already booked.

Our usual home base in the UK is Kent and we know friendly people there but now we're in Essex, which means a traipse over the Dartford crossing any time we want to go to a usual haunt. Yes, I know we could make new friends or contacts in Essex but most people don't make friends in five minutes - it's something that develops over time.

I think we might just naff off and find ourselves somewhere in Warsaw - cheaper that SE England and at leaast we'd probably have some friends there already. I would go tomorrow but after all the Covid isolation my teeth are in an awful mess and our previous dentist has taken pity on me and is willing to sort it all out so I'm not moving until at least some of that work is done.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well the old saying is "Home is where your heart is". I don,t know where your heart is,but maybe for the time being home has to be where your health is, and it seems your dentist is filling that slot.
For the longer term I guess you have to concentrate on finding the right place to grow old in. It tends to catch up with you sooner than expected! I suppose the healthiest plants are those which are able to put down permanent roots and make the most of their surroundings.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Our latest news is that we have the go-ahead to relocate to Warsaw. Several collegues are there already so at least we'll have friends. Flights and accommodation (Airbnb) already booked. We go in early July. Lots to do before then!

Meanwhile, I've been quite ill - my guess is it's stress-related so I'm looking forward to going to Poland for a few months, before moving on to the next posting wherever in the world that might be.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Stravaig. Best of luck. shallotman
Primrose
KG Regular

Look after yourself. It,s been a difficult few months for you.
Stay in touch once you,ve had a chance to settle in and resurface.
I', not sure I could cope with all these regular upheavals. I seem to be settled in our current location with "Locktite" glue so I can imagine all this packing and unpacking is pretty unsettling.
Catherine
KG Regular

Stravaig, I have just seen this post as I am away. I do hope you get to somewhere that gives you peace. Stress is a horrible thing as I can vouch for that. All the very best to you and do keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on. X
Monika
KG Regular

All the best, Stravaig!
Westi
KG Regular

Good luck & all the best for the future Stravaig! Keep in touch with the forum when settled. x
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

"Home" is often a tricky idea. Home is here in Berkhamsted but home is also Taunton where I grew up (almost anywhere west of Bristol makes me feel "at home"). I also feel at home driving my car.

Separated from one's familar bits and pieces is very difficult, even cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen takes the edge off things.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic