600 kilos of beef, please

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

We had a couple of days off and decided to go away to the exotic destination of Maldon in Essex. Well, Maldon salt is pretty good so we thought it might be worth a visit and it's less than an hour up the road from our latest AirBnB temporary accommodation.

We had a really good time! Very nice accomm in the White Horse Inn on the High Street - friendly, lovely people, great pub and very good breakfasts! Plenty of good charity shops on the High Street for me to raid for cookbooks. :-)

Some High Streets these days are terribly dull. But this one was more interesting. I'd like to visit Maldon again sometime if we're still in the area.

We visited The Smokehouse, which was nice for the river view and nice, I suppose, for the food. I'd thought we'd see the smokehouse and get a tour but it was really just a restaurant and shop. It was nice but I doubt if we'd go back.

There was a butcher on the High Street - Salt and Sausage or something like that. (Strange name but top quality butcher.) I wanted to make a lamb curry when we got 'home' and knew I wanted 600g of lamb neck or shoulder. Unfortunately old-age kicked in and I forgot the word 'gram' so I just asked the butcher for 600 of it. He didn't bat an eyelid. After he'd packaged it, I confessed that I'd forgotten the word and had almost asked for 600 kilos. He said he'd be very happy to sell me 600 kilos but he was happy enough to sell me 600g. :D

By the way, the curry was WOW! Of course, I'm a great cook but having top quality ingredients is a big help. :lol:

Really, Maldon is a good place to visit.
snooky
KG Regular

Did you think that you were back in the Army and cooking for the Battalion??? :D
A couple Senior moments too!The Beef became Lamb and Grams became Kilos.Ain't getting on a bit great! :lol:
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Primrose
KG Regular

I,m still in the lbs and ounces era. I remember being in a greengrocers queue just before decimalisation was introduced and an elderly lady exclaiming " why can't they wait until all we old people die off before they change all these systems? Now I can identify with her !
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Afraid I am still Imperial. Grandchildren look at me all strange, when I say to them. What is that in English.
Stravaig
KG Regular

LOL! :D I didn't explain myself very well. Tsk.

Nah, I actually wanted 600 GRAMS (!!!) of lamb for my curry and a kilo of blade/chuck steak for my snake and pygmy pie. (I don't really use pygmies, I like mushrooms better). The butcher seemed to understand perfectly. Really. This Sausage and Salt place sells excellent stuff. Might be worth the 45 min drive each way just to go there again. And the man who served me was very friendly. (Ooops, I didn't mean 'served' in the way a bull serves a cow, I just meant he was friendly and helpful. And gave me what I'd asked for.)

Snooky, I was never an army cook - I trained as a chef after I retired. What fun! If you like being smelly and exhausted most of the time. And wearing weird clothes.

Should we now kow tow to Emperor Shallot? Can he just be a 'man' if he's so imperial? I demand he should change his forum user name to Emperor Shallot.

OK, Maybe it's time for a nap. Didn't mean to offend anyone. :D
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Stravaig. Yes I am for my sins of the male species. How perceptive of you. As for changing to Emperor Shallot. I don't think I would get it past O.H. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I don’t know Shallot Man, I have always thought of you as a leader of Men….especially at the Rugby Club Bar… :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

O.H. I always thought the Codger Corner of which I am President. Came under the official secrets act.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Of course you are right…. :) :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

I'm pretty happy to work in metric or imperial. As I am well over 60, I was brought up with the traditional system. I know there are lengths which are based around an average body but in many ways a lot is terribly irrational.

The one measurement I can't (or don't) think in metric, is body weight, I even find it hard to accept the 'merkins stating bodyweight only in pounds, rather than stones & pounds. Weight being the most irrational measurements in the imperial system 16 oz to an lb, but 14 lb in a stone, 8 stone to a cwt (i.e. 112lb), then 20 cwt to a ton. Who thought that up? :?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Monika
KG Regular

I grew up with metric measures but find them too 'bitty' for gardening distances, for instance, 9" between broad bean plants is much easier to measure than 22.86cm! In other instances, say, my own height and weight, I will happily use metric values. In weights for cooking, I certainly use grams and kilograms, rather than ounces. I think it's useful to use whichever is more appropriate to the situation .....
Cassy0110
KG Regular

hahaha such a funny situation :D
Stravaig
KG Regular

Stephen wrote:
The one measurement I can't (or don't) think in metric, is body weight, I even find it hard to accept the 'merkins stating bodyweight only in pounds, rather than stones & pounds...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Mr Stephen's comment about merkins. I had not expected to read about such odd sexual activities on this lovely and decent forum populated by mature and kind people.
Yada, yada...

_____

Actually, I'd bet that some of the members don't know what a merkin is.
an artificial covering of hair for the pubic area.

:D
Primrose
KG Regular

Hands up - I confess, I had no idea what a merkin was! . If asked I would probably have guessed it to be a meerkat's kitten !
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Think I will stick to IMPERIAL.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic