600 kilos of beef, please

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

Having looked it up and wondering how it fitted into the original post.

I use all sorts of mixed units. When I'm measuring anything I use a handy long thin conversion table, aka a tape measure with both on. I tend to use whichever turns out to be an easy round number, for example, putting up sweet pea canes - measured the row divided by number of plants, I think it was metric this year. I use °C for temperature, measure rainfall in mm but think of it in inches. I didn't know how tall I am or what I weigh in either units until I went for health check recently but they were metric so I remember what I weigh in kilos, nice round number, can't remember height. Garden produce that I weigh tends to be metric as my old spring balance failed and I could only buy a 25kg version. Then there's miles per hour., waist and legs in inches, pints of beer etc. What a mess we are in - should have stayed in the EU and got it sorted!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That’s exactly how I work too….I still ask for a 3 metre length of 3” by 2”….they always know what I want. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I say bring back Imperial.
Stephen
KG Regular

or an American in Geo Bush speak "Ma fellow 'merkins" as his drawl smears the word.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:I say bring back Imperial.

Wonder if Boris read my comment on Imperial. See he is going to bring it back. Now Boris, about the price of petrol !! :wink: :wink:
Stephen
KG Regular

I say let's complete metrication. There will be mild discomfort for a short while but in the long term will be much better.

Meanwhile have some fun with conversions. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/30/how-many-pounds-in-a-stone-try-our-weights-and-measures-quiz

Supplementary question:- which three countries don't use the metric system at all? I'm fairly confident it is just three in the whole world.
Stephen
KG Regular

BTW: We drive in miles but run in metres (couch to 5k anyone?)

The inverse relationship between miles per gallon and litrs per 100km is beyond me.
Last edited by Stephen on Mon May 30, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
KG Regular

A Select Committee appointed in 1895 recommended that the metric system of weights and measures should be legalised for all purposes, and that, after the lapse of two years, the metric system should be rendered compulsory by Act of Parliament.

That's how far we're going back,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic