Spring proper, 2022, Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

No longer having a plot, and reading all the woe's, realised what I have been missing. :wink:
Monika
KG Regular

Shallot Man, no longer having an allotment either, I really appreciate growing some vegetables in the garden at home (nothing like the space we had on the allotment) because it's so much easier just to pop out for 20 minutes to do some weeding whilst the potatoes boil for lunch, rather than having to get togged up to traipse down to the other end of the village.
Westi
KG Regular

The soil is still wet from the storms we had which were followed by my dream scenario of evening & night showers but fine days. Been begging lawn clippings from neighbours to get down as a mulch asap before the soil dries - or the ruddy weeds come up again!
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Saturday I, srimmed both edges of main path, and all overgrown side paths, plus an acces into the outside ditch next to the kids soccer pitch in the park. Then mowed main path and 'my' three side paths.
Then today I are mostly bin fighting the boundary hedge(shrubs, hazel, blackthorn, dog rose and brambles 5' deep) at the top of my plots. The hedge lost, although it won a couple of skirmishes, including infiltrating a honey bee up my trouser leg, where it stung the top of my calf. Puzzled how it got in there as trousers are too long, they overhang my legs by 2" in bare feet, perfect in saftey boots as nothings ever got in before.
Anywho its all now in the compost heap and a dalelk composter, via my resharpened 5.5hp shredder, its even already radiator hot a couple of inches in. Well less a 4' ball of brambles... :oops:
Finally did a bit of weedkilking on blockpaved drive at home and some unplanted areas of my plots, the onion weeding looks to be a big job this year so saving some effort with a spray.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
retropants
KG Regular

As much as I am happy with the recent rain, it's not really been enough, and it has allowed the slugs to munch through roughly 90% of my carrot seedlings, and a few of my little corn plants.
snooky
KG Regular

Struggling to look up and turn my head as my neck and shoulder muscles felt "tight" so after a bit of nagging from my sister went and had a massage.Nothing too strenuous,a firm Swedish going over, and my first professional massage.What a difference to my neck and shoulders when finished.She took out all the "knots"in my upper body and now can turn my head easily and reach places with my arms which I've not been able too without discomfort for a while now.
Spent a couple of hours on the allotment yesterday just pootling about and I must say that the hand weeding was almost a joy!No after effects today.
I can see that a visit to the massage therapist becoming a regular thing but may be not too regular.It cost £40!!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That’s very good news, Snooky….it’s so frustrating when you want to do things but can’t…..
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Are we all getting our jumpers out for Sunday, looks like we are in for a couple of cold days and even colder nights!

retropants
KG Regular

I noticed that! Jumper at the ready :)
Monika
KG Regular

Not been brilliant the last three days either: lovely wall-to-wall sunshine but a horrendous NW wind which is battering everything. The broad beans which are now about 3 feet high and well supported, are being viciously pulled to pieces (and are the insects able to fly in this wind and pollinate them?). The peas are being blown off their peas sticks. I suppose, if you live up a hill with a view 12 miles to the W, what can you expect?
Geoff
KG Regular

It's definitely grim up North. My weather station said it would feel like 4.3°C this morning with the wind chill and it certainly did. The biting wind is relentless and, as Monika says, gradually shredding stuff. I think (or is it hope) the apples had set before it started as the blossom was beautiful.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Hi Snooky good to hear you massage sorted you out.

Had an appointment with physio with similar issue with pains in neck & shoulder just as lockdown started, he email me some exercises to do which got me mobile again.

Perhaps your physio can suggest something for you.
Compo
KG Regular

Opened up some bagged compost. Very smelly like mildew.
White mould on it too
White mould on it too
20220526_130327.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 1674 times
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Compo
KG Regular

So I started seiving the home composted stuff. Probably a year or so old. Let's see how it goes.
Attachments
20220529_165351.jpg
20220529_165351.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 1673 times
20220529_165958.jpg
20220529_165958.jpg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 1673 times
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Looks some good stuff, Compo!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic