Spring proper, 2022, Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Right, here it goes, Shallot Man: 11.5mm = 0.4527599 inches
Since then it's rained a bit more and we now have 20mm in the rain gauge, or 0.787401 inches
Will that do?
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Right, here it goes, Shallot Man: 11.5mm = 0.4527599 inches
Since then it's rained a bit more and we now have 20mm in the rain gauge, or 0.787401 inches
Will that do?

Thankyou for helping this old fossil out.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Plenty of welcome rain here in Somerset, picked my first broad beans yesterday and they were wonderful, tasting both sweet and tender. Will be picking again to-day before more rain (forecast this afternoon). Planted out some courgettes yesterday but it was very windy so had to erect some shelter for them and they seem to have survived ok this morning.

Happy gardening

Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You beat me with the broad beans this year, Barney….I planted out some tomato plants yesterday and they also got a little battered by the wind.

The weeds seem to be enjoying the rain and warmth….not that i’m admitting to having any, of course…. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

I think the windy spell may have been my fault! I put up my temporary tomato house (plastic greenhouse thing) in an attempt to keep blight at bay, and it immediately became very gusty, and after 10 minutes, the whole thing collapsed over and squished the tomatoes. Honestly, I give up!!
Primrose
KG Regular

Bad luck Retropants.
After an early disaster with one of these green houses years ago when mine blew over in a gale and I lost four shelves of seedlings, my husband drilled two steel cup-type hooks into our house wall and strapped it in with a strong nylon luggage strap. It has since resisted all storms but not every greenhouse can be so fortunately positioned.

All my tomatoes are outside now. I,m tempting fate and now leaving them uncovered. As my husband is now having to do virtually all the gardening I,m having to keep things a lot simpler than when I was doing things myself.

The leeks needed planting out today. I decided he would find it easier just planting them all out in a deep trench rather than having to drill individual holes so that,s been done and we will see how they turn out !
retropants
KG Regular

It's Ok Primrose, they've stood up again today! Although a slug marched along my row of carrot seedlings overnight and had a good feast :(
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Gosh Retropants, you are up against it this year….keep at it and i’m sure things will improve for you!

retropants
KG Regular

Onwards and upwards OH!
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:The leeks needed planting out today. I decided he would find it easier just planting them all out in a deep trench rather than having to drill individual holes so that,s been done and we will see how they turn out !

You've done well to be planting your leeks out now Primrose, I sowed mine far too late in the dry period and they are only just showing, it will be many weeks (if not months) before they are ready to transplant, hopefully to follow the early potatoes.

Barney
Primrose
KG Regular

Barney - I sowed them in a couple of deep plastic supermarket fruit punnets (how useful these things are, even if plastic is supposed to be a purge - I re-use them season after season!) in February on a window sill. They were still terribly thin and spindly yesterday when planted out but experience has shown that they soon bulk out when planted in their permanent positions.

They do like regular watering though so although they're barely visible I hope within a couple of weeks they'll be perking up. (I'm hoping so. I need a few successes for my non gardening husband to show he can actually succeed at this stuff !)
peter
KG Regular

Thunderstorms here last night, young dog and wife slept through, older dog hopped on the bed very agitated.
He calmed down a bit and I shut the windows and curtains, put the ceiling fan on low and he settled.
Wife stayed asleep, just as well, she has PTSD from being struck by lightning in Finland and having to resuscitate her friend's son who was with her, both a bit in front of the rest of the walking group.

On more cheerful note, awoke to a nicely moist garden, more rain last night than in previous couple of months combined.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I remember you telling us about your wife and the lightning strike, Peter, very scary indeed!

The rain we had last night, seems to have dried up already….

Monika
KG Regular

All the vegetable beds are filled now, planted the dwarf beans a few days ago but they are still under a netting tunnel, not least to stop the blackbirds digging them up again!
The broad beans are full of flowers - I just hope the insects do their bit of pollinating. It's very sunny here but also very windy which might put them off.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just been planting a few bits over the allotment and it was dry a trowels depth down….also ridged my potatoes up yesterday and there very little moisture in the soil I was drawing up!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic