Muck Spreading Allowed on Farms

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Interesting item on radio today, farmers are going to be allowed to spread muck for 4 weeks in August.

Wasn't aware it had stopped as have seem it going on here in North Norfolk over the years here.

Objections against it is it seeps through the soil and contaminates the ditch water, surly this is what happens when fertilizer is spread and the ditch water turns a rusty colour.

I use horse and rabbit muck never used cow or pig as do not have access to it.

Would be interested in your thoughts whether this is good or bad?
Last edited by Colin2016 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter
KG Regular

Watch a few farmers on YouTube and they're all reducing their purchase of artificial fertilisers, as the prices have gone stratospheric, and maximising their use of "produced on the farm" alternatives. "Solid" stuff had Tom Pemberton up in Cheshire(?) putting it on grass last week for his cattle grazing and hay/silage, Farmer-P in the west country doing the same and Farmer-Phil in Eire likewise. TP & Phil also doing slurry, from dribbler-tanker or mahoosive hose-reel set-ups, TP from a covered a massive bottom-bubble aerated open top storage lagoon and Phil from his beef farm underground tanks by direct hose as well as contract spreading on other farms.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I think there will be lots of changes, regarding the use of muck….funny how they are talking about the use of muck as a new thing!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I think there will be lots of changes, regarding the use of muck….funny how they are talking about the use of muck as a new thing!

Going back to the old job OH?

Collector of night soil. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Colin2016
KG Regular

Interesting that it is part of the story line on the Archers.

Is it correct to assume it was cheaper to buy manmade fertilizer than the Animal alternative or is there a different reason.

There was a program that showed how a farmer was feeding the soil with a rotation of cows, sheep and chicken. Seem to remember that the cows crazed and left their poo, then the sheep came along and ate the bugs from the cow poo and left their own, then the chickens came along and did the same. End result fertile ground with out any manmade poison added.

The more I think on it pigs could have been a part of the system as well.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Surely the reason that farmers have used what has been described as artificial or manmade fertilizers is that they know the exact constituents (NPK) they contain and their respective ratios so they can precisely apply the fertilizer to gain the most economic results. FYM on the other hand contains the same chemicals but unless it has been expensively analysed you have little idea what precise ratios of NPK it will add and therefore its overall value. The advantage that FYM does has over chemical fertilizers is that it adds humus and so improves the structure of the soil. The complication is that FYM is heavy (due to it being wet) and is mainly produced in the West of the country, especially the South-West, whereas the main arable growing areas that need fertilizer applications are in the East of the country. I wish that I could get a regular supply of well rotted FYM to help improve soil structure.

Barney
Primrose
KG Regular

I hadn't realised muck spreading had been limited to certain periods of the year.
As to the arguments about streams etc being polluted by this, perhaps it's because it's simply become more noticeable because it's being done in a greater concentration than would have been happening if the fields had been grazed by cows or sheep in the normal way so that the lower level of poo ingredients dissolved more slowly and were absorbed into the soil.

Or perhaps the previous ban was partly triggered by the intense smell which muck spreading dissipates around local areas?

I once made the fatal mistake of having a trailer load of manure delivered to me in August as as a requested birthday present. I had nowhere to store it so was forced to spread it heavily all over my vegetable growing areas in the middle of heatwave. I can tell you, I was pretty unpopular with my immediate neighbours who had to abandon sitting out in their gardens for a couple of days. The smell was pretty awful. Obviously the manure wasn't as well rotted as I had hoped.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Good points raised Cider Boys however why does it have to be an exact science on NPK of the soil.

When fertilizer is sprayed not all of it goes on the land due to the wind direction.

Perhaps they are more worried about using contaminated manure.

"The advantage that FYM does has over chemical fertilizers is that it adds humus and so improves the structure of the soil."

A very good point.... better soil = less manmade fertilizer = less money spent = more profit.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Colin2016 wrote:Good points raised Cider Boys however why does it have to be an exact science on NPK of the soil.

When fertilizer is sprayed not all of it goes on the land due to the wind direction.

Perhaps they are more worried about using contaminated manure.

"The advantage that FYM does has over chemical fertilizers is that it adds humus and so improves the structure of the soil."

A very good point.... better soil = less manmade fertilizer = less money spent = more profit.

You need different ratios of NPK in a compound fertilizer for different crops, for say grass 15-15-15 could be suitable applied whilst potatoes may need about 15-15-21. (Although I'm way out of touch with what is recommended nowadays.) Fertilizer applications are now often applied very precisely with regard to GPS surveys of where the application is most beneficial. Fertilisers are now often drilled with the seeds and not just spread over the ground. I used to use Growmore in the garden which I think was 7-7-7 NPK as a general fertiliser.
Although FYM or any compost adds humus that is most beneficial to the soil's structure you have only a very rough idea of what NPK amounts or ratios are in it. FYM stored for a time outside will have its nutrients washed away, that is the problem, these nutrients (especially N nitrogen) leach into the water courses and can cause damage.

Barney
Colin2016
KG Regular

Interesting alternative solution to using poison to get rid of the flee beetle pest on rapeseed crops on Countryfile last Sunday (29 May).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic