Early Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

OH asked a couple of weeks ago if I'd had any frost damage, I replied I was worried about a Rhododendron on the rockery but thought the Magnolia had enough to come. In the end all was well, the Rhododendron was bought 20 odd years ago as a variety suitable for a rockery, turned out rather like the conifers sold as miniatures in the 60s that ended up needing felling for firewood. Making quite a show in this lovely weather.

IMG_4552.JPG
IMG_4552.JPG (4.86 MiB) Viewed 1687 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That looks like a little bit of heaven, Geoff, what a lovely picture.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Looks lovely Geoff he tulips massed in the pots are a lovely blaze of colour too. One has to enjoy all these spring colours. They,re so fleeting especially when the weather can be unpredictable at this time of year
retropants
KG Regular

What a pretty scene Geoff!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Whilst drowning my sorrows at the Rugby Club [our team lost ] see to recall being told that in mowers ETC, should only use the old 4 star, the new stuff not suitable for mower engines. He did tell me more, but by that time , though listening intently, wasn't getting retained by the brain. :roll: :roll:
Geoff
KG Regular

Shallot Man, the trick seems to be to only use fresh fuel or add a fuel stabiliser, a couple of quotes:

https://www.mountfieldlawnmowers.co.uk/ ... lawn-mower

https://www.mowers-online.co.uk/how-the ... -machinery
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Yes, as OH says that is a lovely picture Geoff you should be very proud of your garden. Well I have sowed some more parsnips and this morning two rows of peas, just checked my potatoes and they were showing but unfortunately we had a frost early this morning so I have earthed them up a little and hope that the damage is not too great. It's funny how whenever I sow my potatoes early I get caught by a frost. I used to grow potatoes commercially on land on top of a hill and could sow in February and not get frosted, I'm not much above sea level now and although only a couple of miles from the coast we still get the odd frost this time of the year. Regarding the new E10 petrol, you can still buy the E5 fuel (at a greater price though) from many petrol outlets and I use this whist it is still available but try not to leave it for too long in the tank.

Barney
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Cider Boys. Was told by an old sage many moons ago. Should you get light frost on your spuds, spray with tepid water, this has to be done before the sun comes up.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I sowed a row of parsnip too, and for once, the breeze didn’t get up and blow them everywhere…. :)

Clive.
KG Regular

Haven't posted for a while, but still lurking about ;)

Thought I should report on the first swallow seen this lunchtime at my work location in E. Lincs.

...then we got a reminder that it isn't summer...as the wind swung to the north east..

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’m hoping for one of Clive’s interesting posts….seems a while since we have had one! :)

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now how is that for a coincidence…. :)

Clive.
KG Regular

I best update on progress here then ;) Despite running a few too many hours at work I have got the early onward and radeo peas in at home here, up and moving well. I have a couple of rows of broad beans that I hope to get posts and strings in place around at the weekend although it'll will be a while 'til they are actually up high enough to need the strings. Raspberry rows fed and had the hoe run around. New row of chard sown...which is now one of my staple veg for a quick in the microwave tea and some beetroot sown, for my regular sunday tea beetroot sandwiches. Some tomatoes are ready for pricking out...but sadly the greenhouse doesn't get any healthier...
First feed of rhubarb two days ago and tonight with my Co-op chips and chicken chargrill, some rather nice sprouting broc' gifted from next door.
Washing rumbling round in the machine...having a bit of a catch up evening, as I'd run out of work shirts this morning.!!

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now that’s a bit more like it, Clive….hate to think i’m missing anything… :)

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Not a gardening question. But partial to mussels. If they get any smaller, they will be wearing nappies. :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic