Late Winter Bits and Bobs 2022.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

I think February puts pressure on the normal 30/31 day months to get the mag out so they prep in advance.

I like to see something inside each month to really emphasise the month (read big letters saying April or whatever on the cover not just the wee bar code on the front). I saw a few folk on FB sites using it as current month's recommendations for sowing & they will be disappointed. While on the topic maybe KG could also divide the country up when doing the sow now, plant now section with 2 columns, one for the south & one for further north? Would be well beneficial seeing the seed packets info is so generic. Just a thought KG?????
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I really agree that the month of publication should be written in larger print both on the cover and inside. it's really easy for people to become confused about planting and sowing advice contained inside, especially when it's issued so far in advance.

A good point Westi, about including location advice for the time of seed sowing on packets. It's far too generic. Experienced gardeners will err on the side of caution but there will always be plenty of "newbies" who take the advice as gospel and end up being disappointed by failures.
Colin2016
KG Regular

In the beginning when I did not know any better I used to read the what to do this month and apply it.

Then wondered why nothing happened.
Westi
KG Regular

Just to reassure everyone that spring is not too far away the weird Plum Beauty is in flower & with the nice sunny weather the little fly like things have also returned to pollinate it. The 2 miniature Peaches overwintering in the tunnel are also in flower but I will have to get the paint brush out to help them with pollination.

IMG_6190.JPG
IMG_6190.JPG (4.59 MiB) Viewed 1538 times

IMG_6188.JPG
IMG_6188.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 1538 times
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A lot of buds starting to open on different shrubs and trees… I would rather see them in a months time!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That’s really funny we both posted different things at the same time, Westi…. :) :)

Primrose
KG Regular

How nice to see two cheerful and optimistic posts to brighten up a depressing day!
My Tete a Tete daffodils flowers have just opened up too.
This forum bears better news than the TV channnels.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just been and cut all the grass paths and main ride, over the allotment….looks a little tidier.

Poor old Codger has the most awful Shingles on his face but, Codger being Codger is still being positive…hope it soon clears up for him!

Geoff
KG Regular

Lovely day here too, might cut my grass, gone very tussocky over Winter.

I know things are going up but, needed two cylinders for autovents but wasn't sure if the one I'd chosen fitted so only ordered one at £10.99 last week, fitted it today and it is working fine so went to order the second £11.99!

At least not everything is going up, trolley still only cost a £1 when we went to the supermarket last week.

Should I be boycotting sowing Red Russian Kale?
Primrose
KG Regular

Keep sowing Geoff. You may be glad you did.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic