Allotment Rules?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Three questions on "Cultivation".
1 What sort of organisation provides your allotment?
2 What are the rules on cultivation?
3 What's the process and criteria for eviction?

For example mine is;
Town (Parish) Council.
Plots must be cultivated.
Less than 50% cultivated and a letter is sent asking why and noting that eviction is an option.

Our association, which does not provide allotments, is getting grumbles from members about fellow tenants who don't deal with weeds or use their plot for purposes not fitting the spirit or indeed the letter of allotment usage.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
snooky
KG Regular

1- Borough Council
2-Plots 75% cultivated at least.
3-If not up to spec four weeks notice to quit.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We are very lucky with our allotments, the Parish rents the land, and the allotment holders just run things, without a committee….so we never have had to evict anyone yet…just have a chat if it looks like someone is struggling…..I did rotovate someones allotment at the beginning of last year and others helped with a bit of weeding, as they were struggling health wise….we are just like a big family really.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Borough Council provides the allotment
It just says must cultivate but no %
Contract says council must send a letter in 7 days post inspection & it says they will decide on time frame to remedy, so nothing black & white. It also says the council will pursue compensation to fix issues. The committee does the majority of inspections but the council does a couple a year.

Probably explains why so many plots are not in use, but covered in black membrane as the contract is not definitive. There is lots in the contract about keeping rabbits & chickens, like how much space but it is overtly ignored & these are the only 2 animals you can have but loads of ducks around as well. The last time they broached those obviously doing no more than keeping chickens on the whole plot just a whole lot of skinny raised beds were put along the fence line with a few crops in them.

I have a friend with a plot on one of the other council sites & they are inspected really closely with sheds & coops even measured. Maybe when they ever get a new chairman (vacant near 3yrs) & committee, things might change as the guys inspecting are not official committee members as their period is expired.
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

For me:-
- the Town was gifted the land in 1914 and the Town Council lets the plots.
- Rule 4a: "keep the whole allotment garden, including all pathways and storage areas, clean and in a good state of cultivation and fertility and in good condition.
- Rule 4h prohibits animals or livestock
- Rule 4m: "on termination of the tenancy, the allotment garden shall be handed back to the councili such conditionas to comply withthe requirements of these regulations.
- Rule 6: If the tenant shall be in breach... for a period of one month or longer...the tenancy shall cone to an end.

These are not enforced. See a past thread of mine. https://forum.kitchengarden.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15591
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

The council own ours they demand 85 % is cultivated and kept neat the other 15% is for sheds and coups they are inspected every three months if your plot is not up to scratch a warning letter is sent out giving the culprit 2weeks to sort it out otherwise eviction notice is given there is no second chance saying that they have been lax of late
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic