Early Winter Bits and Bobs - 2021.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

retropants
KG Regular

I never really suffered too badly when growing them in the greenhouse. I've now only got a small plot at home with a teeny greenhouse only suitable for seedlings.so, they are stuck outside.
Westi
KG Regular

Before I had the tunnel & grew the toms outside I used to build three perspex sides (got from some builders knocking down a conservatory); around them which was left insitu to aid warming & cut the wind more than anything else. When I got a Blight warning (Oh please bring back Blightwatch); I would nip down & put a lid on the structure which I had drilled holes in & I secured it with plastic coated wire around the frame. It worked well & I mostly missed the blight.

My neighbour at the tine built a cane structure like a lean to secured to the side of her shed. She used clear shower curtains and left the sides & roof covered but it had a roll up door. She had more success than me with this model which I suspect was because I had joins in my lid.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Does anybody know what happened to Blightwatch to stop its messaging service?
I thought at first that possibly my subscription had failed in some way last summer but is the service no longer operating at all?

Possibly it was another of those services which depended on a industry grant of some kind and Coronavirus has caused funds to dry up
snooky
KG Regular

Evening Primrose,(No pun intended!!)

Blightwatch is now called or has changed to another Company called Blightspy.Found it on Google.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks Snooky. Briefly just checked this website out . Seems they don,t offer the same useful facility of sending you an email whenever there,s a Hutton period warning for your specific area and that you have to check the website every day . Not sure busy people will necessariky have the time to do that. Miss checking on a couple of days in succession and that could mean your spraying or covering up opportunity is lost, especially where outdoor tomatoes are concerned.
Westi
KG Regular

I just popped onto their uTube site instructions for using it & it will predict over a longer time frame so you don't have to check everyday. Unfortunately when I went onto the main site it was last updated in September, which is understandable as unlikely to get a Huntington period over winter & more unlikely to have the spuds or Toms in. It doesn't say when it will start updating again but one example they showed on the video was April 2021 which would be about right for southern areas so I guess we will have to look around then.

Thanks for finding the site Snooky.
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

Thanks for finding the site Snooky! I may have to buy a plastic temporary greenhouse for my tomatoes this year. Hopefully it will survive outside from June to Oct. I've found one on ebay about the right size for about £30.
robo
KG Regular

I got called out to our allotment last night just before 10 o’clock some scroates had broken into a lot of sheds in one they found a gallon of petrol they thought it was a good idea to use it to set fire to our communal greenhouse and cabin when I got there there was nothing but bits of timber the fire brigade was hosing down the police came eventually I was held till gone midnight making statements we estimate there is around £10,000 worth of damage
Westi
KG Regular

Sorry to hear that robo, really, really annoying & upsetting. We have had no issues since they installed some wildlife cams & put warning signs over the fence warning CCTV in operation. Might just be a co-incidence, but maybe something to consider. The wildlife cams do also pick up images of people as well which is why we have to have the signs.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi I have one but it eats battery’s I can’t keep going in them
Stephen
KG Regular

That's bad news Robo. I'm very sorry to hear it.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That is terrible, Robo, I really don’t know what the answer is anymore…..
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Oh Robo, that is just awful, how upsetting. I have no words. :(
peter
KG Regular

Robo, my sympathies, my Saturday volunteering bar duty had a similar issue a few years ago.
We got the 20' replacement for the trailer from Containers Direct up in Liverpool.
The exploding CO2 cylinder spattered molten aluminium around, but no reports of burns victims......
Our Phoenix now holds the Man of the Match bottle while keeping it's single watchful eye on the drinkers

Pheonix.JPG
Pheonix.JPG (366.79 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Something really positive for everyone, Monika sends her kind regards to all of the Forum Members and hopes to be back with us in the Spring. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic