Early Autumn Bits and Bobs - 2021.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

Seeds are really cheap here - maybe about 10p for a packet which you'd pay a couple of quid for in the UK. The only thing is that, whilst they have the 'usuals', eg parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, they don't have any of the exotics that I like to grow, ie Oriental herbs.

It's definitely autumn here and we've had a cold snap down to 2C. It's still mostly nice and sunny though.
Geoff
KG Regular

Don't know if this is of any interest to anybody, perhaps the people who work with volunteer groups could get some support.

https://mailchi.mp/4d7b3ab68206/1p1dyld6jo?e=47eb4f291b
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Cut the last of the Runner beans down this afternoon…..they didn’t like those strong winds at all, that we had the other week.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

My runners went a couple of weeks ago, late season they get so stringy. I have never been a big fan and the undergardener doesn't like them at all. So why she bought the seeds I have no idea!
I have said, next year French Beans only. When I found that Unwins have a purple which keeps its colour when cooked I decided that we would grow green. purple and yellow beans. These should look great on the plate.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

I’ve been putting rat poison down with fury for around three weeks up to date ive spent over £30 on blocks in the last couple of weeks , I always have poison I put it down regularly the whole allotment is having problems mainly sweet corn and grapes along with a few tomatoes, today I was surprised when the lady who helps me sent me a text saying she has found a dead mink near her chickens
snooky
KG Regular

Field mice are very evident on my plot.When I work the plot at least one mouse zooms off into the distance when I disturb it.Disturbed a nest the other day and off they went in different directions.No chance of catching any.
Spotted one on the seed head of a sunflower on neighbours plot and,by the time I got my phone out of pocket to photograph it,it spotted me and was gone!Sod's law,would have made a good photo.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Westi
KG Regular

My rat problem has decreased significantly since my neighbour gave up on chickens as he is getting too old to come down every day. His legacy is he baited the rats so they were controlled & the chicken keepers on the plot beside him rat's moved to the front of the plots to avoid the same end & he won't bait but rely on the guy with the gun. It won't last I know but enjoying the harvests & bless my neighbour, he is using his left over bait in the old runs.

I don't have an issue with chicken keepers but as the only site left in council area that allows chickens we are being over run by applicants - & chickens, ducks (not in our contract), & even then too many chickens. I am really concerned about their welfare & if my council don't react soon to my pestering I will contact RSPCA or whatever needed.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Our council do an inspection once every three months if your plot is not up to scratch you get a letter giving you two weeks to sort it then it’s re inspected if it’s still not up to scratch you get an eviction letter you are given three months to remove any thing like sheds or greenhouses etc then your gone ,it also applies to chickens which are the only poultry allowed they have to be kept clean or else ,we have a council vermin control guy who comes once a month
Westi
KG Regular

Well the onion sets, garlic & shallots are in despite the critter help, but their beds are like a fortress as neither dog recognises there is anything growing & a freshly dug bed is so inviting to take a nap!

Robo we are only inspected twice a year & yep letters are sent but nothing is followed up. 2 years ago a guy took on a plot & hired a mini digger & took all the top soil away. (Truly)! Covered it in black plastic & never grown a thing. We have a huge waiting list & this plot is just one not used. There are many more mainly covered in children's slides & trampolines. The thing is we don't have a proper committee as just have an acting chairman. Fortunately I have a neighbour who was on the committee & my observations are resonating with hers so kinda hoping she might go for chairman/woman! But our AGM is due but not a whisper!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Our council do an inspection once every three months if your plot is not up to scratch you get a letter giving you two weeks to sort it then it’s re inspected if it’s still not up to scratch you get an eviction letter you are given three months to remove any thing

I like the rigour of regular plot inspections, I wish we had a more onerous policy similar to this.
I agree on a fortnight to sort out the plot, but only give those who fail a month before everything gets allocated to the next person on the waiting list.
Am I too demanding?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

Trouble with a month some people take that long to find a buyer for their sheds and pollytunnels etc it’s also in our councils agreement you sign when you are offered a plot I realise it can be changed but it works why change it
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well what a beautiful day it is out there….been spreading well rotted horse manure on some dug ground!
The leaves on the trees are still very green, so are going to be clearing them up, late into the year….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Do we dare call this an Indian Summer? Apparently winds are moving & coming from the South for a couple of days which might well be the final swan song.
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

For years I ordered my seed from a well known seed merchant. Until one day my seed potatoes arrived, More like baking potatoes. contacted them, from the reply it would seem they were reading a different email. Happened to be in WILKO. Seed at least a third of the price [own brand] seed potatoes all loose and large egg size. That was me converted. :wink:
Colin2016
KG Regular

Talking to a fellow plot holder who has had poor customer service again from a big supplier, so is looking to use local garden centre.

It seems the large suppliers offer a guarantee but sadly do not stand by it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic