Late Summer Bits and Bobs 2021.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

Westi ,the council won’t allow guns on their land ,I got a warning letter as someone reported me for having an airiffle on my plot
Colin2016
KG Regular

"Incidentally with autumn now arriving, I assume anybody with a wood burning stove or who burns logs on an open fire is familiar with the new legislation which came in on log burning in stoves, etc in May 2021? If not, details can be found on this link"

Thanks for the link Primrose.

With the cost of gas going up those with wood burners will be happy.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm a tad excited - it's proper raining! It seems so long since we had proper rain, it was forecast several times but missed the plots or just the lightest drizzle that seemed to dry as quick as it landed & was certainly no use to the plants. Of course the downside will be the weeds returning in vengeance just as I had cleared every bed, fortunately I quite like weeding.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I know the feeling, Westi! We had proper rain two days ago which was then followed by yesterday's lovely sunny autumn day, albeit with blustery wind. Our green manure is shooting up and enjoying the damp ground.
Stephen
KG Regular

Westi
On our council alottments our rep isn't tough enough. His enforcment of "use it or lose it" (or as I prefer "cultivate or vacate" isn't strong enough. When I did complain about a neighbouring plot which was shoulder deep in thistledown (see previous posts), the holder was told that someone had complained, rather than the rep had seen that the plot was covered in weeds. As this is payment/renewal time, we shall see how many of the neglected plots gain new people.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

This might be the year when those not interested will be thinking of saving some money rather than paying for an allotment they don't use. Furlough is finishing, all prices rising whatever you want to buy, so fingers crossed that these individuals who don't use, give up their plot for others who will grateful to get the opportunity to grow. Mind it does depend on the price, & I heard there are plots still around at only about £40pa.

On that subject I expect ours will go up quite substantially this year now we are back on the council's 'affordable housing' site list. Their rationale will be to overprice, so unaffordable for many old & new growers, plus vacant plots is a good excuse to push harder or if just a few growers left easier for them to find another site. We pay nearly £100 now so I'm thinking quite a bit over that mark & I have 2 but I will pay regardless, as actually using free seeds on magazines a lot (& get them through the through the letterbox from neighbours), over the years I got the extra bits needed so cost to me is just a bit of watering & patience which now compares way more favourably to supermarket prices which offsets the price without mentioning the free workouts!

Stephen, I have planted the seeds for our new Chairman to be voted on, not an acting suggested by the old dodgy chairman and for committee to put out 'interest' from others. Not a squeak yet from them, but loads of over the fence chatter! We are self managing (supposedly), so don't have a council rep.
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Fewer but bigger butternut squash.
PXL_20210929_122644952.jpg
PXL_20210929_122644952.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 1833 times
Primrose
KG Regular

:Gosh that looks like a good winter storage crop Stephen.
How many will you swap for a gallon of petrol ????. :D :D :D
Stephen
KG Regular

:lol:
But how many gallons do I get for each is my negotiating position!
Westi
KG Regular

The old sayings do have a ring of truth! 'Be careful what you wish for' comes to mind.

The excitement of proper rain has soon lost it's welcome. Hail, mega gusts & bucket loads of rain since I stupidly commented on that. The back garden is a disaster zone, 2 branches snapped on my huge red rose that was just into it's stride with it's late blooms, clematis ripped off the obelisk, snapped the kiwi vine which is a male & thick stems & everything on a lean & bits of plants blown around. Lottie not as bad but chase the netting is becoming tedious along with hammering in the stakes again, the dwarf pear was blown to a significant lean & I had to shut the south side tunnel door as there was some whirlwind affect in there but luckily no real damage as I think the puppy proofing fencing helped slow the wind down & nothing heavily laden with fruit now.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi I paid £25 for a full plot last year 352 and half square meters
Stephen
KG Regular

Oh dear Westi, we have had some heavy rain but I think not as bad as you describe.

Meanwhile I have just paid £50 for my 10 pole (nominal, I haven't measured it) plot. Twice what Robo pays, that is the difference between Herts & Lancs.
snooky
KG Regular

I win!!Just paid £51 for a 5 rod plot.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Primrose
KG Regular

Amazed to see a family of newly fledged bluetits in garden this afternoon. So late in the season. The insects will soon all be killed off by the cold nights. Obviously tenderfoot parents although I know some birds do have a second brood. Perhaps this year,s odd weather has confused them. Guess climate change could see more of these unseasonal events happening.

Even OH must be a little out of kilter. He hasn't started his new Early Autumn thread yet even if he,s still possibly up at 5.30 am and now gardening out in the dark ??
Westi
KG Regular

Maybe OH is milking the wee little bit of mild weather predicted?

I've had a late brood of starlings in the guttering under the roof tiles again! They have fledged & on their way into the world - while I pay someone to climb up there to clear the nest as right above the down pipe. I was hoping the big rain would flood it out & over but no evidence so need it sorted. I'm reluctant to net the tile edge off but I'm going to have to as no young lads brave enough to climb a ladder once a year for the financial reward in the cul-de-sac now! Mind they are good at fixing my computer though!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic