Late Summer Bits and Bobs 2021.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

It's gone all quiet again! As one that likes to chat to anyone when out & has to have the TV or radio on when home alone it feels the same when the forum is quiet! Silence is golden but chat is interesting! Well maybe not mine...;)

I hit a milestone today emptying the compost from my oldest bin onto the empty beds and although the bin's not quiet empty I can certainly see it will be very soon. I am being extra generous though as years ago I wrote something about my beds not being raised by boards, but higher than the paths. Well they have shrunk so why being generous. I liked the little water trap trench I put around the edges of the beds as working full time then & really watered well & think these helped when I couldn't get down as much & watering still takes ages so introducing that again. An interesting haul of dog balls & other toys sifted out as well which pleased the dogs.

Number 3 the 'using now' compost bin will be transferred into that spot & with a bit of luck even Number 2 may be called into use which is definitely ready thanks to planting pumpkins & squash through the black plastic cover as a quick peek under the plastic showed a nice fine compost. I won't mention the hideous huge rats have also contributed but they will have moved by the time I use it as neighbour has got rid of his chickens! (Hopefully anyway)!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Well four days away and the tomatoes in the hanging baskets look like they won't recover...
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

Is anyone else heading for Malvern next weekend? We have tickets and are so excited about some "normality". I just hope that the show is a reasonable size, it seems GW Live was very reduced in exhibitors.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Not me i’m sorry to say, Chantal..we all never did get to meet up all those years ago!

Just catching a sharp shower here and I had a big list of jobs to get don over the allotment…..oh well, in the greenhouse it is then!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Distinctly chilly here this morning. Was going to get some geranium cuttings taken & overwintered but some urgent domestic financial admin calls so need to get that particular monkey off our backs first !!

Just wondering how much longer I dare leave the remaining tomatoes on our outdoor plants. The deadly blight we spotted which affected earlier fruits seems suddenly to have halted in its tracks but I suspect the smallest fruits won't grow any bigger now so are probably safer on trays indoors. Courgettes still bravely hanging on with tiny fruits but looking very mouldy now.
robo
KG Regular

What a year, a lot of plotters lost their tomatoes to blight ,most lost their potatoes, now leeks are dying before my eyes ,I was ok with the tomatoes as I only used blight resistant seeds I lost all my potatoes now I’ve lost one bed of leeks I’m hoping I’ve saved another bed ,the other one is sweet corn ,on a lot of plots the corns have been decimated I have one up to now,most people think it’s rats but the lad opposite myself think it’s a fox as we have both found it’s leaving presents ,the battle goes on
peter
KG Regular

Robo, badgers adore sweetcorn.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
retropants
KG Regular

I've lost all my leeks too, they started off well, then after planting out they sulked for a couple of months, and then withered and fell over.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Put some toast out for the birds. Feral pigeons pecked away at the dried toast. Crow arrived. Cocked his head a couple of times, picked up a piece. Dunked it in the bird bath. Went away quiet happy.
Monika
KG Regular

Absolutely gorgeous autumn weather here for the last few days. Dawn to dusk sunshine, clear nights (we have been watching the moon grow, Jupiter and Saturn and the International Space Station!). Down to 6C last night. Off now to do lots of watering!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just got back from getting a bit of land ready, for the Elephant Garlic.
When does everyone else plant their Garlic?

Monika
KG Regular

I plant ours the moment it arrives from DTBrown which is usually at the very end of September. This year it's going to be Provence Wight and Mersley Wight which have grown very well the last two years. But I don't plant them into the ground but into individually into divided trays. They stay in the unheated greenhouse until about end Febr/beginning of March and are then planted out.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you for the info, Monika….I will try and get them in sometime this week then….

Primrose
KG Regular

My over- wintered pepperr from last year, on a sunny window ledge, is just developing its third bout of blossoms! The outdoor plants have been harvested and chopped down but will stick with this one and see what happens.. Whitefly seems to be the main enemy of my indoor plants.
snooky
KG Regular

That time of the year when our energy supply needs looking at.Spent this afternoon looking at quotes.The "Big Six" offer the cheapest quotes but you must have a Smart meter installed or agree to have one put in.We don't want a Smart meter.If you need to use the gas or electricity then you will no matter what meter is in the house.Another case of "Big Brother" spying on you.
The smaller companies will quote a figure but will increase it by 20% from October to March,adjusting back for the rest of the year.Life used to be simple,use the gas and electricity pay your money,no strings attached.And the differences in "Standing Charges",another con.
Thatcher and her privatisation plans has made life bloody awkward.Making everyone one pay through the nose for a necessary service.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic