Late Summer Bits and Bobs 2021.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

snooky
KG Regular

The schools must be open again.The number of cars on the roads has quadrupled,or so it seems,when I am out and about!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Monika
KG Regular

Thank you Geoff, I have copied and passed your data on!
snooky
KG Regular

What a pleasant day it was today.I had planned to mow the two lawns at the front of the house but it was so quiet,calm,and peaceful that making noise with the mower seemed a big no-no so I left it in the shed .No screeching little girls wanting their own way;no yappy little dogs wanting their own way;no neighbours attacking what they wanted to attack with a power-driven tool; the occasional aircraft flying over and the muted "hum" from the M3 Motorway was about as noisy as it got all day.
I got on with the deadheading,weeding and general tidy up around the garden and the jobs which needed doing around the garden but somehow get left til later-if at all.Finally a good watering and a feeling of wellbeing.Trout for tea with Charlotte potatoes and Lady Di runner beans from the allotment and all is well.
Regards snooky

Westi
KG Regular

Well Snooky, we have all the noise but it is exciting. The Bournemouth Air Festival is on again & I keep dashing in & out to see if I can see the planes but unless they come over the house it is near impossible now as the trees at the school behind have all grown significantly.

The Red Arrows flew right over us in the car on the way home, unfortunately just heading to the beach for the display so no smoke. Can't wait to go down to the plot on Sunday to get a proper view as the planes go out & return from their display and are quite low going over. I best make my 'To Do' list quite small as I will be distracted quite a bit methinks!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I went out fishing Thursday a full 12 hours we motored from Liverpool marina to around 7 miles of Rhyl it was either the boat I was on or a lot rougher than forecast we were bounced all over the place for four hours yesterday I could hardly move I did what I had to do down the plot to look after my hens and tomatoes did some shopping then retired to the settee today is rugby day six matches over two days
Clive.
KG Regular

I've spent a little time on my own back garden this weekend, it was well ready for some attention...completing the cut out and tie in of raspberry and thornless loganberry. I always see this as the start of the gardening year, as it is totally setting the scene for next years fruiting. :)
Next I,ve cut down the spent broad bean row having collected some dried pods from the south end of one row, these are now sat in a shoe box in the front room.!

Kestrel potatoes and some Kelvedon runner beans with lunch today...they "followed me home" this morning and very nice too as my beans have come to a halt.

Summer has returned this afternoon but it was a very heavy dew this morning and it's rather autmnal two fields across from the back garden as it's the Friends across the Fields tractor meet. Much ploughing going on with lots of puttering tractors and a larger classic one too...emitting a gruff deep baaarp.. Suspect it's a MF 4880 with 9 furrows on...

Yesterday it was a motor cycle accompaniment as it was Wanfleet bike night...everything from formula one sounding instant gear changes to old British bike notes..could be heard heading out to the east.

In for cup of tea and then press on with the sort out...

C.
retropants
KG Regular

I've been tidying up in the garden this weekend too, as my craft fair was cancelled. (Chiswick house was double booked). I've potted the strawberry runners, cleaned out some pots and planted a little woodland area near the house on the shady side, which had a dead viburnum looking untidy. I've also been making the Christmas soap stocks. I harvested my first sweet corn cob this year, cooked and ate it right away. Fabulous, one of my favourite things about summer :)
peter
KG Regular

Third or is it fourth treatment now on my bindweed.
The raspberry canes all died on treatment one!

IMG_20210905_163733.jpg
IMG_20210905_163733.jpg (4.92 MiB) Viewed 1535 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

That plot certainly looks a challenge Peter !
Glorious sunshine here today and Mr Primrose has come up trumps with weeding, watering and general tidying up although when today's sunshine is in precious supply one wants to be sitting back and enjoying it rather than working in it !

The tomatoes will certainly having a late spurt in this sunshine.
snooky
KG Regular

Finally got to the bottom of the 1 ton bulk builders bag in which I make homemade compost.Filled 24 old compost bags eventually and now ready to fill with this years"stuff".Already have another filled and fermenting away.Bonus was that I had 4 bags full from a Dalek type bin which has been languishing behind a Laurel bush for two years or so.Well pleased.
Regards snooky

Primrose
KG Regular

Would not have thought of using a builders bag as a composting container but sounds as it if might work quite well if you have the space.
Imagine it probably retains the heat more than an open cage or ordinary heap
Geoff
KG Regular

I use them for making leafmould and they work well for that. A few years ago when I made a new bed I put the turves in one and they rotted down well.
Last edited by Geoff on Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
KG Regular

That's fascinating data on your solar panels Geoff.
If Lancashire has the sunshine we are getting today in Hertforshire, you'll be well ahead!
Last edited by Stephen on Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Well hot down at the plot today & even with the Factor 30 on I have a rosy glow! The most annoying thing though was the number of Cabbage Whites flying around & the little gits managed to get into the some (I thought) well secured beds, but they were everywhere! Just driving down they were defiantly in abundance & many plot holders don't net their brassicas! My guess is blight deffo main contender for failure, closely followed by the white ones!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

BLIGHT ! Picked about 3 lbs of blighted tomatoes off my plants today, all of which were looking perfectly OK yesterday. It's amazing how quickly this disease spreads. Also picked a load of perfect looking ripe ones which I,ve washed thoroughly and will process for tomato ourree oftomorrow in the hope they're still OK although I realise the diseased grows from within the fruit and not just caused by spores on the skin.

BUT BIG QUESTION. Has anybody received a Blight alert recently? I don,t recall receiving one for weeks and we,ve had some pretty humid conditions despite lack of sunshine. Is the warning system no longer operational.?

Should I be picking all my remaining OK outdoor tomatoes now as a precaution? Despite growing them for years I'm never really sure what's the best course of action in these circumstances.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic