Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Clive, do you not steam your potatoes? I never boil them, nor any vegetables, always use the steamer. That solves the breaking up problem.
The Charlotte potato leaves are just going yellow, so I will have a dig soon. We are overrun with broccoli, especially tenderstem Atlantis which was recommended by somebody on this forum.
Clive.
KG Regular

I'm an extreme novice in the kitchen..and building knowledge with a leaning towards microwave. Previously I knew the growing bit and then what to do with it when it arrived on my plate ;)

C.
Monika
KG Regular

You sound a bit like my other half, Clive!

OH (not other half but old herbaceous), is it time for a "Mid Summer Bits and Bobs", do you think? We are over half way through the year .......
Clive.
KG Regular

Tatey top removal on Charlotte quickly this morning....blight has moved in very rapidly...

I had another steadier go with Cassablanca in the kitchen, with much better results :)

It's Early Onward pea and Bunyards bean freezing exercise this afternoon.. :)

C.
snooky
KG Regular

Not been to my plot for a week and when passing this evening popped in.The haulms on my potatoes,Swift,Charlotte and Desiree are up to my hips-and I have a 33" inside leg!!The leaves on the parsnips and beetroot are up to my knees with not much root underneath and have overwhelmed the nearby carrots whose tops are growing horizontally!Must be too much nitrogen in that side of my plot.I did put down potato fertilizer on the potatoes and Growmore before sowing the carrots,parsnips and beetroot.
Onions and shallot are slow to bulb up but the leeks(planted in a trench a la Johnboys method)have taken off a treat.Runner beans are finally at the top of the wigwams and dwarf beans in flower.Just need some warm weather and insects to pollinate.Sweetcorn shooting up after a slow start but it looks like some kind of "rust"may be affecting the leaves as some of them are quite brown.Broad beans are ready for picking and,inevitably the weeds want to outdo everything!They have to go!!
Been a strange growing and social year.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Westi
KG Regular

Found blight down here as well Clive. Just on the what was to be Xmas spuds in bags at the back but on inspection of the others looks like I will be taking up the Jazzy. The main crop look OK so far, but the weather doesn't, so quickly got some extra copper spray & that's top of my 'To Do' list tomorrow!

Haven't had a Huntington warning from Blightwatch though. Is there a time limit to your sign up? Might just go on there & re-register as like a warning to prep rather then react!
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

Here's Charlotte, on the left and Maris Peer, on the right. Taken 9 days ago, tops on the Charlotte were quite ok then....as of today Charlotte tops gone but Maris Peer were showing little sign of.

...and a second photo, 52 years ago, my first potato patch, with Grandad fetching out some Maris Peer...the very reason I still like to grow them.

C.
Attachments
Charlotte and Maris Peer 1-7-21.jpg
Charlotte and Maris Peer 1-7-21.jpg (135.97 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
Grandad digging Maris Peer 1969.jpg
Grandad digging Maris Peer 1969.jpg (153.53 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
robo
KG Regular

How deep did your grandad plant then he can’t be far of Australia there
Clive.
KG Regular

:)
What is not apparent in the photo is that there is a ditch at the back of this narrow strip of land alongside the roadway to their small holding so I'm wondering if for comfort in kneeling grandad may actually be on the edge of the bank ;)

C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic