Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

210622.JPG
210622.JPG (23.86 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
Monika
KG Regular

Looks very similar to us so far, Geoff, though I won't be totting it up until 10pm on 30 June.
Geoff
KG Regular

Posting that improved things a bit, we've had nearly 4mm since, the midges are loving it.
Monika
KG Regular

Oh lucky you, Geoff. We had barely 1mm overnight, making the total for June 3.6mm to date. There might be some more to come next night, but then it looks all dry again for a long spell. We can but hope.
Geoff
KG Regular

Beware what you wish for! New mower being delivered today but expected to rain all day, 11.4mm and counting.
Diarmuid
KG Regular

Which mower did you end up buying Geoff?
Don't wait until it's gone, before you appreciate what you have.
Geoff
KG Regular

Difficult time to buy mowers, seems to be a supply shortage. I have been worrying ever since I selected it if I have been unduly swayed by availability over specification and may have bought something a little lightweight for my needs, time will tell. It is a Mountfield 1330M.
Monika
KG Regular

Congratulations on the new mower, Geoff - hope it coped with the wet grass today!
15mm for us since yesterday, brilliant.
Geoff
KG Regular

I think the mower will take a bit of getting used to, used the old one for over 15 years.

Just cleared three roots of Charlotte potatoes from a polytunnel bed, planted 4th February and have yielded a pleasing 6½ kgs.
Primrose
KG Regular

I think new mowers are like new cars and all other kinds of machinery. The brain gets wired to expect them to perform qnd handle in a certain way and all of us get so used to thwt, especially over a long period, that adapting is hard. I think kne of the worst changes was switching from a petrol to a diesel car. The consequences of habit and the brain being hard wired to take you to the wrong fuel pump can be pretty disastrous!

Must confess though that we,ve never liked our newer Hayter motor mower as much as the two previous Mountfield ones.
Geoff
KG Regular

The brake pedal being on the right instead of the left might be an issue when I try the tricky bits round my fruit trees.
Westi
KG Regular

I have a strange thing in my brain, nothing new there!

I was thinking I seek out & destroy bind weed - the one with the long, long white root is the most satisfying! I tend to drown it mostly, especially this year as no chance it is gonna dry on the path to date. Now most weeds when properly de-activated in the compost or a bucket give something back we like & need. Does bind weed have any redeeming qualities? Doesn't smell much but it goes rather slimly.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I,ve never risked composting it to try and find out. It goes straight into our waste bin. I've been guilty eniugh in ewrlier years of spreading oxalis around my garden by outing it into the compost cage before realising it doesn,t always rot down enough to cease its regeneration process. I think however much bindweed yiu gather it would rot down to such a small amount it's not worth risking. It,s a miserable thin little weed. i can understand the value of busy stuff like stinging neglect decomposing though.
retropants
KG Regular

We liked to add it to the bonfire, to make sure it didn't come back!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

retropants wrote:We liked to add it to the bonfire, to make sure it didn't come back!

My sentiments entirely :wink: :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic