Late Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

snooky
KG Regular

Lots of Ladybirds and Beetles of various kinds about in both garden and allotment.Can't be a bad thing.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Westi
KG Regular

A Factor 30 day down here but I still got nipped, but a great hoe day as the plants just shrivelled up so didn't have to worry about raking them up. Beach was heaving & allotment was busy with lots of lily white skin exposed so expect quite a few red & uncomfortable folk around tomorrow.
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Current battle report re Shallotman vi Ants. Shallotman 3 Ants Nil. :wink:

Have this sneaky feeling that the ants are bringing in reinforcements each night. :wink:
Primrose
KG Regular

Gardening stories come in many shapes and sizes but this one sent to me recently made me smile:

"Mrs Irene GRAHAM of Thorpe Avenue, Boscombe, delighted the audience with her reminiscence of the German prisoner of war who was sent each week to do her garden. He was repatriated at the end of 1945, she recalled - 'He'd always seemed a nice friendly chap, but when the crocuses came up in the middle of our lawn in FEBRUARY 1946, they spelt out 'Heil Hitler.''
( Bournemouth Evening Echo)
Westi
KG Regular

Brilliant Primrose! Boscombe is not far from me - wonder if she dug them out or laughed as much me! (Well obvs not laughed quite as much). Funny if she didn't & some drone notes it!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

yes, I,d love to know what happened to those bulbs- whether they were dug up and planted elsewhere or saved for prosperity as a little bit of history. I suppose if left they might have multiplied over time and possibly transmorphed into Happy Holidays !!
Almost a shame she wasn,t able to keep in touch with her gardening helper to send him a photo of his handiwork.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Started to have a fox come into the garden with four cubs. One with normal tail. One without a tail. two with tails inch & the other about inch & a half. Any ideas.
Primrose
KG Regular

Cross mating with a Manx cat ?.?

Seriously, no idea but I suppose it's quite possible that animals can have a similar genetic fault system as humans humans although what would trigger the infirmities I have no idea. Perhaps lack of nutrition or untreated illness may have impaired its immune system in some waywhich has caused mother to give birth to imperfect Cubs.

Are you going to feed them?
Westi
KG Regular

Now I always find weeding therapeutic, but there is therapeutic & there is tedious! ;) People say it is similar to painting a bridge, but it's more like needing 2 teams starting either side of the bridge, just stopping for a cuppa in the middle! I'm not following the plan if bright & sunny & sneaking in some hoeing on little ones popping up where I just weeded, so at least I don't have to rake them up as well. Mind the reward of a nice clear bed is really worth it even if short lived.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

The ants probably ate them while they slept.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:The ants probably ate them while they slept.

So, if they have a panache for foxes tails, why are the still consuming the half clementine I put out each night. ? :wink:
Primrose
KG Regular

Funny how plants mutate as well as viruses. All of my garden foxgloves have green stems apart from one which has a dark chocolate brown stem. Don,t know how that happened.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:
Shallot Man wrote:Current battle report re Shallotman vi Ants. Shallotman 3 Ants Nil. :wink:

Have this sneaky feeling that the ants are bringing in reinforcements each night. :wink:

Update on the ongoing conflict with the ants. In the words of that great Man. WC.
Now this is not the end, this is not even the beginning of the end. But it is perhaps the end of the beginning. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Primrose
KG Regular

ShallotMan. Keep at it. We have yet to endure the flying ant season, we have several cracks in our elderly tarmac driveway and every year around July 17th flying black ants seem to emerge from them in their hundreds. It's strange but you can almost set your calendar by this date. I,ve given up trying to kill them now. I just let them do their thing in the hope that swifts and swallows in the area will dispose of many of them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic