Late Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

Dethlac spray works wonders
Westi
KG Regular

Keep your fingers crossed for me as had to plant the sweet corn today! They were huge & roots were more out than in the holes in the bottom of the pots which were my biggest! They have a windbreak membrane around them & a mesh top - time will tell!
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Good luck, Westi! I hope the weather is kind to you and your sweetcorn!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:HELP. Seem to acquired some new inmates in my living room. ANTS. any idea's [fitted carpet ]

Unable to find where they come from. So decided to use my vast military knowledge gleaned during my National Service days. I.E. when in doubt. Attack. Went out and bought some spray, "Antstop Ultra " Last night put some old newspaper on a small cane coffee table with a orange [split] this morning they were all waiting for me. Two quick sprays, and will do the same each night until one of us surrenders. :wink: :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Green Woodpeckers have a liking for them, Shallot Man.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Green Woodpeckers have a liking for them, Shallot Man.... :)

Great O.H. How do I entice them into the House. :? :?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I never thought about that, Shallot Man.... :)

Hope you get them sorted though, it's horrible when you have something like that.

peter
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:
oldherbaceous wrote:Green Woodpeckers have a liking for them, Shallot Man.... :)

Great O.H. How do I entice them into the House. :? :?

Stick your wooden leg partly out of the window?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Current battle report re Shallotman vi Ants. Shallotman 3 Ants Nil. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Excellent hunting, Shallot Man..... :)

Westi
KG Regular

Felt very strange, but kinda right to be watering the flower beds at home this evening. I seriously thought it would be another day or so before I had to, considering the drenching it has had over the last few weeks. But good to get up close & personal with the flowers - all 3 roses have buds looking near to breaking, clematis also full of bud & I think I'm going to have a beaut display of poppies. I did mean to thin them but I'll put up with what I have as right at the back - will just have to be diligent with the dead heading or I will be cursing next year - as will the neighbours no doubt! Bees will be happy in compensation though!
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I had to water all the pots yesterday, Westi, in spite of all the recent rain, but at last things are really moving with moisture in the ground and warmth in the air! Our large wild patch is beautifully colourful at the moment: all red campion are flowering, still a few honesty and camassias, alliums, aquilegias in many colours, comfrey, yellow and orange poppies, red valerian just starting and this morning the first bright red oriental poppy opened. There are still not many insects about but hopefully enough to pollinate the broad beans which are full of flowers. Sitting out at dusk last night, we saw three swifts, much reduced in numbers from previous years, and also a few bats, again less than ever. Presumably, the dry cold April and the wet cold May until now has taken its toll on the air-feeding creatures.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just had four hours of hoeing over the allotments, with my pull, push hoe....you certainly can cover some ground when conditions are right....so instead of the allotments beingcovered in annual weed seeds, they look quite presentable now...hoooray. :)

Westi
KG Regular

Pleased to report the graft I put in improving the sandy soil at the plot seems to have paid off. (Finally)! Only the tunnel needed watering. The plants (& weeds) are really happy & the growth in just a few days is really obvious. Kind of optimistic as it stands for a good harvest but if it doesn't I've soldiered on before & got results.

Pretty chuffed, although I think I might have imported some white onion rot in on my garlic this year - fingers crossed it is not but looks like the pics, so sacrificed it's neighbours which did not show it. I sincerely hope I don't have it but only time will tell!
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Just had four hours of hoeing over the allotments, with my pull, push hoe....you certainly can cover some ground when conditions are right....so instead of the allotments beingcovered in annual weed seeds, they look quite presentable now...hoooray. :)

As my late Father use to say. The time to hoe boy, is when it don't need doing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic