Late Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Well good news & bad news checking the plot - the Hazel bean poles for the runners remained standing & not even on a lean, however the cane teepee for the climbing French beans was not as lucky & tore out of the ground & blew into the broad beans as I had secured mesh to it for wind protection when I planted it up y\which obviously gave it some - the irony hey? Table blown over but luckily the seedlings I forgot to take in I had popped on it to harden a bit was sitting nicely beside it in their plastic tray - lucky there!

The really bad was the net tunnel - the new bracing canes I put in after it's last breezy encounter actually snapped off & not at the anchor metal tubes but where they crossed 1/2 way along, this was on 2 sides, fortunately the other was intact but the netting snapped off the feeble hook things that came with the kit. All fixed but I may have been a bit over zealous with the cable ties, tape, extra canes & plastic coated wire but it seems stable even if on a bit of a lean. Mind I don't expect 90+mph gales for a bit, (well that was The Needles), but I'm not that far away & it definitely was more lively last night than the last big breeze we got. Even the full wheelie bin took a little trip down the drive way this time, but it is bin day tomorrow so less distance to take it out & it was behind the car thankfully!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

My calendar says it's May - is it right?

IMG_4490.JPG
IMG_4490.JPG (2.94 MiB) Viewed 2611 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Not a lot of leaf showing, Geoff!

It's lovely here at the moment but, this afternoon doesn't look as promising...heavy rain, hail, and the wind is meant to be picking up.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

We had snow, sleet, hail, rain and glorious sunshine this afternoon.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
retropants
KG Regular

we had the hail, the rain and it was quite windy again, then glorious, but still chilly sun later in the evening.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

YUK!!!

retropants
KG Regular

Yep, YUK!
Geoff
KG Regular

The sky seems to have sprung a leak. Perhaps I should have stuck at it last evening and dug the last few trenches of the bed where I have been pulling out the late brassicas to make way for dahlias, chrysants and gourds.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm so glad my greenhouse didn't spring a leak, as I have spent all day in there, potting stuff up...and very enjoyable it has been too!

Westi
KG Regular

Rain again today, which I am not complaining about as it was so much warmer than the last few weeks. It cleared just before lunch & I did consider going down but fortunately I didn't as it returned with quite a brisk breeze accompanying it & the temp dropped substantially. Tomorrow is looking much nicer but filling in the time today doing the 'To Do' list wasn't one of my best ideas as it is rather long! I think I will just stick with the weeding tomorrow as that should be quite a lot easier after the rain.
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

Tonight I've moved my late running tiny tomato plants to the greenhouse...Shirley and Sugar Gloss...hoping the forecast of warmer is correct. They've been residing in the house in the dining room/bedsit room..that has once again quickly been re-purposed this time to be the propagator...I dare not run the electrics for the proper propagator in the tired greenhouse.. :oops:

C.
peter
KG Regular

Weeding is easier this weekend than last weekend.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

After yesterday's deluge, just a sprinkling today but it's considerably warmer, thus good growing weather! Long may it continue! I thought I had caught last year's cleavers before they seeded themselves but, guess what, they are coming up again like mustard and cress - more pulling out tomorrow.
Westi
KG Regular

Reminder to self! Do not watch Country File long range weather forecast! When are we going to have consecutive 'growing' weather? On the positive there are one or two days that are OK, but obvs those are the ones I'm working! Today was pretty good so glad I made the most of it - only 3 beds left to weed as whizzed through the little gits! Might be 'late' spring but feels more like 'early'!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

I also have lots of goose grass, as we call it, coming up everywhere even after having weeded the borders a couple of times. I think I've asked before but not sure if I got an answer. It seems so easy to pull up, are we really removing it? Perhaps that's why it comes back when we think we have kept it from seeding, it could have seven year seeds of course.
It is good to have a bit of warmth at last.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic