PEACE AND QUIET

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Compo
KG Regular

There's probably no solution to what I'm about to have a bit of a whinge about. Is else on allotment site a bit fed up with the level of noise of old rotavators lawnmowers this time of year .....as it's almostconstant. My only solution is to listen to the radio with headphones on. Anyone else been bothered by this or should I just put up and shut up?
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Primrose
KG Regular

We don,t have an allotment Compo but some of our neighbours have an over attraction to Bollywood music, vroom vroom noisy motor cars and other distractions and another neighbours leaves her kitchen doors open whilst playing The Archer at full volume. I suspect nobody would appreciate my own preference of Bach's BWV 577 Fugue at full volume either, so there,s no accounting for taste!
Personally I,ve enjoyed lockdown , living under a flight path where I can now hear the birds singing instead of noisy jet engines overhead. I,m not sure why people find silence so challenging and always have to resort to artificial noise to blank it out.

There used to be an unwritten law of no noisy machines like lawnmowers before 10 am but I,m not sure what the situation is now. It seems one man,s peace and quiet is another man's getting his garden or allotment chores done in whatever spare time he has. A good pair of earplugs is probably a wise investment althiugh it's sad people have little consideration for the mental space of others these days. I suspect a year of lockdowns has made many people more selfish in placing their own well-being ahead of the preferences of others.
Westi
KG Regular

I don't mind it as I kind of count it as seasonal & expect the disruption. I prefer a run of nice days so it is over quicker than it has been this year though with the rain & cold; although there looks to be a run of better weather over the next couple of weeks so won't be long until more peaceful. My favourite is the sound of a mower in the summer and the smell of fresh cut grass & distant laughter from the other rows.

My least favourite noise at the moment is the trend for the nippers to soup up their cars to make a right racket that you can hear coming right from the end of the street.
Westi
Compo
KG Regular

I suppose I should have been clearer. One particular chap has been using his badly serviced rotovator for many hours every day for 3 or 4 days constantly. Thrashing the soil to death!! Anyway - moan over!!!
Last edited by Compo on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
retropants
KG Regular

our neighbours-but-one have a petrol mower that is constantly hunting, the noise is quite irksome! My dad would be gridning his teeth asking why they won't set it up properly! He lives in Dorset now, so probably can't hear it!
Primrose
KG Regular

Well there are those who complain about the noise of the dawn chorus at 5 am, in"normal" times they would have to chirp extra loudly to outdo the sound of distant jet engines revving up for early flights out of Heathrow !
retropants
KG Regular

I live about 15 mins from Heathrow, right under the flightpath (it wasn't as busy when I bought the house). Before any lockdowns, the noise could be horrendous and constant for hours, depending upon the wind direction and runway allocation. Since March last year, it's been simply wonderful. When we do hear a plane now, we are staring at the sky thinking what's that then) ;P
Colin2016
KG Regular

"vroom vroom noisy motor cars "

Will Electric cars put a stop to that?

Could the future be all electric lawn mowers/rotavators?

I am fortunate as the only noise I hear on plot are the birds, radio and occasional lawn mower and very rarely a motivator.
Westi
KG Regular

Electric cars worry me with wildlife crossing roads etc as so quiet, but certainly an option for the plot but most still have a way to go. Batteries too heavy & unbalance the machine or just not enough poke currently, but still early days.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I live around 200 miles from Heathrow so it doesn’t bother me haha, I love the dawn chorus always have only trouble is the medication I’m on is like being hit on the head with a big hammer very hard to wake of a morning
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic