Early Spring Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

On my 'do nothing day' I potted on the tomatoes in the propagator - I think I may have too many as my fat fingers were only meant to put 2 seeds in each little pot but seems the majority have more up than that. Not to worry, I will squeeze them in somewhere outside. The over wintered stuff in the greenhouse seems to have got used to the many loose panes & lower temperature & looking fine & dandy & raring to go with the longer daylight. I was so chuffed it put me in the mood to even do some house work (OK mop the kitchen floor so don't get excited) - it didn't stretch as far as the ironing so I just hid that!

Gonna be cold down here tomorrow, below freezing first thing & max 6, but technically still early spring & I will warm up putting compost on the spud beds. I had prepped the original site for the spud beds but have had to change the plan so I can move the walk in net cage as winds have been a bit unkind where it is & not only is it on a lean but the movement has popped out the stupid little screws as well which I will never find. I cussed a fair bit putting it up with the stupid little screws & kind of knew it wasn't going to be as described!
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

Yep, freezing here today. Did manage , however, to plant a copper birch sapling and clear out the border behind so I can now buy more plants (see:addiction thread!) most likely ferns, as it it a shady space and they are a favourite.
Compo
KG Regular

Mmm repaired the plot shed. Nice when the sun showed otherwise hat and coat needed. Lots of folk showing up on site now.. Thank god for our British weather.....makes life rich and varied!!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just been in the greenhouse, sowing a second batch of Sweet Peas...wonderfully warm in there but, step out of the door and it's an overcoat colder...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Reading online of a sheep in Australia, that hadn't been sheared for some years. Looked in the mirror at my growing locks, need a haircut soon. Or a piece of ribbon. :wink:
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Just been in the greenhouse, sowing a second batch of Sweet Peas...wonderfully warm in there but, step out of the door and it's an overcoat colder...

O.H. Overcoat colder. many moons since I have heard that saying. :wink:
Primrose
KG Regular

I suspect a couple of early spring sunshine days will have encouraged too many newbie lockdown gardeners to get outdoors sowing, which is still far too premature for many seeds, with the subsequent disappointment it will bring. Still, we've all been down that learning pathhaven't we?
Westi
KG Regular

Agree Primrose - the sun deceives & is not in total control just yet. And now if right on cue the gales & rain suddenly appear to flood & blow away the cute wee tomatoes in the cute green little plastic shelter! But those that get over this & try again will learn - a bit like the old 'chaff from the wheat' saying as others will give up at this hurdle to make room for those that are doing it from passion not because it is a trend currently.
Westi
Compo
KG Regular

Going to plot shortly. To make sure it is windproof. 60 mph gusts forecast!, Yikes!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
vivienz
KG Regular

Hubby and I were contemplating putting down bark chippings on the pathways between the raised beds and greenhouses but we've postponed until tomorrow. We can do either wind or rain, but we have both in large quantities this afternoon. I have no excuse not to get the VAT stuff to the accountant now. Drat!
Primrose
KG Regular

Vivien. - my dear old dad always had a philosophy that bill paying and other dreary administrative chores could only be performed on rainy days, The older I get the more I tend to agree with him
although it does seem like having to perform a double penance !
vivienz
KG Regular

Lordy, it blew and howled last night! Everything is still in tact, thankfully, and nothing is the worse for it. I'm waiting for the weekend to put my overwintering sweet peas into their final home of a couple of large pots with canes, or at least once the wind has died down.

I sowed some leek seeds at the beginning of last week, Lyon and Musselburgh, and left them in the unheated greenhouse - the cheeky little devils are already germinating! I did a whole bunch of alliums, leeks, garlic chives, decorative alliums and wild garlic seeds. I'm quite excited about the wild garlic seeds; the westerly facing slope of pumpkin hill has been reserved for these, if they succeed, as I have dreams of a large patch of the stuff that I can pick to my heart's content, not to mention wafting garlic at all the neighbours!

Talking of unheated greenhouses, the temperature range in the last 10 days is ridiculous. A low of nearly -3C and a high of over 40C on sunny days. Crazy. But, for all that, everything is doing well in there. I potted on my toms a couple of days ago and decided to bring them back into the house whilst they settled in but left one out in the greenhouse to see how it fared and it looks fine today. The low was 3C and it looks none the worse for it. I'm wondering how soon to risk leaving the toms out there full time to take advantage of the higher light levels, so I might move them out a few at a time, of each variety.

In the meantime, my pots of early mange tout and pea shoots are all pushing up at a pace and even things in the outside beds are perking up, including the early purple white garlic that's thickening up really well. I'm looking forward to an early harvest of garlic - yum!

It might be a quiet couple of days now as hubby and I are both off for our first covid jabs tomorrow; I'm not due yet as I'm in the next age cohort but I received an invitation from the GP today and have an appointment for an hour after hubby. I might tell him I've got side effects so I don't have to cook dinner! :0)
MariaMitchell
KG Regular

I understand your excitement :D Good luck on your journey. Don't forget to share the results later.
Last edited by MariaMitchell on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Well breezy south Dorset as well. Confident tunnel & shed will be OK, but might have an even bigger lean on the tall net cage which I already plan to move to beside the tunnel so more sheltered. I don't mind if it is flattened but hope all is intact as bought proper anchors & connectors ready for the move which looks like Sunday as still gusts tomorrow.
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

Yup, still breezy now, Westi, although it's supposed to be calming down in the next couple of hours - hope everything has stayed put on your allotment. I can't pot on any more tomatoes, as I've run out of pots. Tsk. I'm going to chance some toms in the unheated greenhouse, but I may well need to get them fleeced up in a while as they're predicted some rather cool nights in about a week's time. I'd like to get them outside to make them nice and sturdy with the improved light levels out there.
Cut some more PSB today - such lovely stuff. Having it with pasta and ragu sauce for tonight's dinner.
All went well with the covid jabs, no side effects other than a slightly stiff arm for me. Hubby asked if I got very hot and thirsty overnight, but I told him 'no' as I wasn't the one who had nicked the quilt and was snoring down my earhole all night.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic