Early Spring Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Positively balmy on lottie today, although the thermometer did not reflect that, just the actual strength of the sun which was shining bright. The soil was so dry so I had the cans out giving the few things sown/planted a drink. It was only when I finished that I remembered the water was now turned on! Doh!

As no-one down around our tap I took the opportunity to top up 4 butts - the other one is fed from the shed guttering & overfull. I'm thinking timely looking at the long range weather forecast as looks like temp is going to improve but no rain in sight for quite a bit & no below zero minimums = more folk will be down to start & the hose war will begin!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Another sharp one out there this morning....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Looking out this morning I thought is it the first without a frost? Well nearly, weather station shows we had a brief -0.1. Looks like another beautiful day but the forecast looks grey and cool for a week so won't be packing up the fleece I'm using every night in the cold greenhouse and tunnel anytime soon. I've planted out the sweet peas and broad beans in the last couple of days. Taking my wife for second vaccination this morning, something went wrong with the appointment system as I had mine last Saturday.
peter
KG Regular

Interesting northern question post in Ask the Team area.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

It looks like the last night frost here last night for a little while - I hope so. Even the broad beans looked rather sorry for themselves every morning though they always perked up again. We have lost most of the new foliage on our Buddleia davidii bushes and we think the Buddleia alternifolia has succumbed completely .....
Compo
KG Regular

15c here later on Saturday here. A little watering needed but not much. Night time temp too cold to plant out runners and french beans. But some are giving it a go!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Compo, as you say, very early to be planting out tender plants like runner and french beans....

The compost in some outdoor pots I have on the terrace, was frozen again this morning and they are showing more frosts around the middle of the week...but I have been potting up hundreds of plants in the greenhouse since first light, and it is getting a bit warm in there now. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

The first frost free morning for 13 nights - whoopee! I suppose it's the price you have to pay for almost daily wall to wall sunshine and clear nights .... But it has been wonderful weather for outside gardening and walking. We could do with a bit of rain now - the total precipitation for April to date is 7mm which was snow or sleet at the beginning of the month. Tonight I am putting on the sprinkler to soak the lime into the brassica bed before planting it up shortly.
vivienz
KG Regular

I've been fleecing up in my cold greenhouses despite what the weather forecast says - it's been at least 1.5 below the forecast temperature quite regularly here over the last few nights and so they've been frosty ones. One pot of early spuds in the greenhouse got its leaves nipped by frost when I missed a corner.
The ground is like rock and very dry, but I'm hoping that rain holds off for a while yet as we're getting our pond fixed in a week's time and rainfall will hold things up there - we've been waiting since September to get it done. If anyone can have a word with the great weather god in the sky and arrange for rainfall as soon as the pond is finished, I'd be very grateful, as it takes quite a while to fill it up and we're on metered water!
snooky
KG Regular

Power steering playing up on my Meriva so took it to the garage.Pump leaking and "that will be £900 please,Sir"and labour on top!!The annoying part is that it is a well known fault on Merivas'.Pretty well brassed off.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Westi
KG Regular

Snooky we had the same problem with our Meriva when we had it. I saw programme on TV where they were alerting people to it so I phoned the dealer & had it fixed for free. Might we worth a cheeky phone call to your dealer after a wee search to make sure you have the right year's car as they weren't all affected.
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

The carrots are finally up this afternoon. They've been sulking for weeks, I was about to re sow them.
Westi
KG Regular

Positively balmy day, so lots down planting & sowing - however methinks they were up too late to have seen the heavy frost this morning & spotted some runners going in. Mad fluctuations in the tunnel 1.4C min and 37.6C max but the toms I had to plant in there as too huge to pot on again as taking too much space, seem happy enough, not soaring away, but not showing signs of stress, but they do have extra creative protection above not on them.
Could only see the odd carrot in the recycled broken cold frame, but none in the potato pots but will see. Asparagus is kind of stagnant but lots up (not the new crowns). Onions, shallots & garlic look ahead of last year & still harvesting bits & bobs - fab radish & spring onions!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi all
I'm sorry I dropped out of sight over the winter. It was so wet, so cold, I wasn't really doing much on the 'lottie.

The good news is that there was always something to harvest, even if it was hardly a balanced diet! Leeks, parsnips, beetroot, spinach.

Now, after putting several things in, there is no water available, either from the weather gods nor from our tanks/taps.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Jack came back last night, -1.8°C, good job it was forecast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic