Early Spring Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

retropants
KG Regular

Oh, that is a shame Primrose, they are so delictate looking, very pretty.
Monika
KG Regular

What a pity, Primrose. You won't be the only one so affected - it's been a right snorter of a night .....
Primrose
KG Regular

I suspect it's sadly going to affect this year's fruit crop too . A lot of blossom will have been damaged.
Westi
KG Regular

Well nothing seemed too upset from yesterday's weather antics even though it was -2.2C in the tunnel. Plum beauty which was in full flower was nipped a bit on the outside branches but it has been in flower for weeks now & both the neighbour & I have seen the wee fly looking things all over it several times with the odd bee.

If anyone can tell me what the wee fly looking things could be I would be grateful - they come in mass & are really tinkey tiny & move pretty quick so hard to figure out what they are. They are only interested in this plum & disappear by the time the other fruit trees come into flower.
Westi
Chantal
KG Regular

We lost our magnolia stellata too Primrose, there are a few white flowers left low down, but most are burnt. The camelia has been mullered by the frost as well. Lots of golden brown damaged flowers, but I'm hoping that in a few days, once the weather starts to warm a little, if I shake the tree the dead flowers will fall and leave the new pink flowers in all their glory. It happens most years, but rarely this bad.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

It's a white white world out there! We had heavy snow early last night, followed by clear skies and -3C, so the snow is sticking to the trees, walls, everywhere. It does look very pretty in the bright sunshine, but I fear for all the plants already out. Just seen a pair of blackcaps and a chiffchaff feeding on the snow-covered bird cherry buds!
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Not so cold here in Somerset but far too cold for an arthritic soft southerner like me. In fact I've given up sowing and planting until it warms up. I'm even too cold to bother to get logs in for the fire and am huddled around an oil fired central heating radiator which I seldom use as I have a plentiful supply of logs. I'm having my second OxfordAZ jab tomorrow which at least will get me out the house.
Rhubarb is growing well and have been pulling some since Easter Sunday especially the crowns that I have forced.

Let's hope it will soon warm up outside!

Barney
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Bit of a frost this morning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Frost first thing but, nice sun shine now....actually, I have just come back from cutting the allotment grass.

Looks like we have another cold week infront of us, Barney, but then i'm expecting good things... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Frost on the lawn first thing.... Out this morning making most of sunshine and got Radeo peas sown.... Lunch now, Co-op Ham and their potatoes...but with some rather nice leeks a la microwave from a seed row that never got planted out. I have had a good few feeds off that row.

Stewed Rhubarb for pudding.. :)

....and a heavy snow shower now....good job I got on with the pea sowing early.. :)

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Didn't want to start a whole new thread but, still thinking of Pa Snip on his Birthday.

Westi
KG Regular

I did the same when I planted my Jazzy potatoes OH! He scared people with his openness about his condition a bit I think, but I hope we all contributed by accepting this as his way of coping & he never lost his humour for sure! Cheeky indeed! But such a willing contributor to the forum to welcome people & offer very useful & sometime different advice!

Still remembered - he would like that! x
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Ridiculous when you celebrate getting up to plus two in the middle of April.
Primrose
KG Regular

Everybody is talking about "the lost year" we've all suffered as a result of Coronavirus and in many ways of course that is true but actually on a gardening and growing front activities have very much continued as normal haven,t they? Crops have still been sown, cultivated and harvested, so apart from the intermittent difficulties of obtaining seeds, compost etc, gardening life has continued much as usual. And what a blessing it proved for our well-being!

It's encouraging that many new people have discovered these pleasures. Hopefully that will continue.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You do make me smile, Geoff... :)

I think things will slowly slip back to much the way they were, Primrose...greed will always take control.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic