Early Spring Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Sorry, OH, I couldn't resist, today being 1 March .....

I have just cleared all the plants out of the greenhouse and given it a thorough hoovering and then wash inside and out. It's wide open now to dry out and tonight I will fumigate it with a sulphur candle, ready for REAL action from now onwards. Luckily, it's likely to be fairly still tonight and no frost, so all the flowering bulbs, broad beans, perennial seedlings etc can stay outside for the night. :) :) :)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That made me smile, Monika.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Robo, how are your injuries healing?

Well the weather was meant to be wet this morning but, it's turned out nice...so glad I didn't swap my work plans...

robo
KG Regular

I’ve just got back from the trauma clinic they are happy to leave it for 2 weeks to see how it is then before grafting or not ,I’m black and blue everywhere even my ribs are giving me jip , I went to have my blood done on Monday to check my nri and got the amateur we all dread they normally take blood from my elbow as I have veins showing on each one this lady missed with the first three goes she got it on the fourth now my muscle above is aching no end to in
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Gosh Robo, what a tough old time for you...I hope things soon improve for you!

Monika
KG Regular

All the best, Robo, you really have got it rough at the moment!
I had a rather unpleasant internal examination at our local hospital this morning, part of an ongoing problem, but everybody was very professional and kind and it's so odd with all the gowns, masks, social distancing etc, but needs must ..... Also getting the second covid jab tomorrow!
robo
KG Regular

I could tell you about a thing that happened to me in a and e last Tuesday but some might find it offensive I found it embarrassing
Westi
KG Regular

I thought all was going well with my productivity on lottie today - until I had to jump back out of the way of a speeding nipper when I stopped off at the corner shop on the way home. Self diagnosing but I think I may have torn a ligament or something in my ankle, I can hobble on it so not broken but almost an audible ping when the jump back landed me in a broken parking edge! The ankle support not used for years was fortunately in the first aid box!

On the positive no digging needed on lottie as all done as it is my shovel/fork push ankle. Will see how it fares during the shop tomorrow but at least the weight is in the trolley. I can certainly understand why the athletes pull up in races & suspect mine is rather mild compared to theirs! ('As if' I hear you say with me being on the gardening site not the jogging site)! :)
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Gosh Robo, what a tough old time for you...I hope things soon improve for you!

Me also Robo.
Monika
KG Regular

All the best, Westi!
vivienz
KG Regular

Ouch, Westi. I did something similar a good few years back now, but it was my own fault for trying to run in a stupidly high heeled pair of shoes! An ice pack is your friend for reducing swelling.
I grafted my Frankentoms a couple of days ago but had to do them again as my cheapskate attempt at using sellotape and cocktail sticks just wasn't up to the job. I bought some of the silicone grafting clips and they're great - not expensive, either. Fortunately, the rootstock stems were still quite perky and turgid so I sacrificed a few toms for the scions (the top bit), cut a sliver off the rootstock stem to make a fresh cut and put the two bits together with the clips. Just waiting now to see if the grafts take, I should know in a day or two.
robo
KG Regular

I hope you are ok westi they can be painfull I had similar years ago when playing rugby the worst was when I was training one night in the dark running flat out and my leg going down a shallow hole I was months getting over it but the pain was above my knee
daxtell71
KG Regular

Morning all just got out into the garden after all the rain and it really is joyous to see things coming up through the earth. Bit worried that my gooseberry and honeyberry may not have survived but who knows. planning on trying a cabbage in our reclaimed border this year. :-) Arming myself for the battle with the cabbage whites!! So far its 1-0 to them. Wish I had room for a greenhouse though.

Deb
Daxtell71 :D

How many beans make five? :lol:
Westi
KG Regular

Stock up on butterfly netting Deb & there is every chance you will get payback on the cabbage whites, but remember to keep the netting well clear of the plants when they grow as the little white gits will still lay through the netting if a leaf is touching it.

Lovely down at lottie today & I got the absolute must do job done & puppy proofed the asparagus beds. It won't be long until it is popping up & I'm pretty sure Scrabble will like it as she has a taste for quite a few things already & it is mine! Especially likes brassica's & stripped my Caverlo Nero & Cottagers (& ate it, not just ripped it apart), so had to re-net their beds so I could get some of the PSB in there before she moved to that side, & it is just starting to get heads. That will leave her digging & clearing the Jerusalem Artichoke bed which I am encouraging as it's taking over - not as keen on it's side effects on her though! :)
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I wish I hadn't started the "Early Spring Bits and Bob" because the last few days have been rather wintry: very cold N/NE wind, heavily overcast and even very occasional snowflakes ...... Just got to 6C so far today.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic