Early Spring Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

retropants wrote:I've also got a bucket of chicken manure pellets, I'll probably beef up the soil with these as well.

Reminds me of my Brother who liberally put chicken pellets down when laying a new turf lawn some years ago. The local foxes spent hours digging up said lawn. looking for chickens.
retropants
KG Regular

ha! oops.
Geoff
KG Regular

First in the new series of a good Friday night bottle and swear at the telly.
Clive.
KG Regular

Lovely day, got a few jobs done in the home back garden..some rescued shallots from last year back in, in 3 lines, and chanced a couple of rows of Foremost tateys with some compost from the heap along the rows as the initial back fill. Leeks formed the veg of lunch, from a seed row that I never got planted out after I wandered away from the home garden again upon my return to work in mid July after furlough. I also found enough beetroot of a late standing variety, still in good order, to boil up, so have had beetroot sandwiches for tea :)

C.
snooky
KG Regular

Must agree with you,Clive, a lovely day and able to work on the allotment without a jumper on.Only snag shirt a bit short so flashed a bit of the old"builders bum" at times.Disappointed that I didn't get Wolf whistled!!!Planted out a bed of Sturon onion sets and a bed of Shallots saved from last year.Prepped the area where the potatoes are going in and that is the plan over the next week.Got my mojo back working this site and I look forward going there,whereas the last site that I had it was an effort to motivate myself to go over there.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
robo
KG Regular

I managed to get down the allotment if my daughters find out I will finish up with one of them gizmos on my good leg so they can trace my ,most of my broad beans have gone I think it was the pheasants but I’ve heard squirrels are rampant at the top end
Monika
KG Regular

Planted three large pots with three potatoes each (Kestrel, Charlotte and Pink Gypsy), still in the greenhouse. The west peppers are growing nicely, the tomatoes are due to be pricked out and the broad beans are going into the ground this week, out of their root trainers. Sowed some radish, mixed salad leaves and spring onions in pots in the greenhouse.
Westi
KG Regular

It is definitely spring down here, got my first wee asparagus purple tip showing, but know more are not far away as soil disturbance around the established ones. Unfortunately I have to remember which to crop & which to take few & which to leave this year. The beast from the east took quite a few & were replaced with a mix of crowns & plants. There is one bed that were plants so can take a bit from them this year & their extra's were placed in the main bed fails, but not enough so also got some crowns!

All was fine & dandy & diligently marked with harvest time - until the new family addition arrived & found plant markers were just too appealing! As is she fortunately!

IMG_5782.JPG
IMG_5782.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 2314 times
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Whilst walking the dog found a baby deer curled up in hedge seemed to be abandoned, checked latter in the day and was still there.
After talking with local lady about it decided best to collect it and she would feed it, on going back to collect it found the mother was nearby and the fawn was on it's feet.
Monika
KG Regular

Golden Rule: never pick up an 'abandoned' fawn because the mother is very likely nearby and might reject her offspring if it smells of humans.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Seem to recall, deer mothers make their young hunker down, while they go off to feed.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shopping. Now do the shopping. Bought some tomato's , said on the packaging, vine grown. I thought all tom's grew on vines.
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi. I hope you are keeping very close tabs on your new arrival. Sadly dog theft in our local area has become an increasingly regular crime in our area and apparently it's widespread across the country try. All related sadly to the number of people suddenly wanting a pet for company and as a walking companion during lockdown. Police here are recommending dogs are not let off the lead when strangers are around in the vicinity.so sad as few of these dogs are ever recovered even when they,ve been microchipped.
Westi
KG Regular

Funny you say that Primrose. On Saturday right on the beach at the foot of Highcliffe Castle 2 men tried to entice 2 dogs aways from 2 different owners. The beach is full of dog walkers & joggers and the like so they had some bottle. Both owners coaxed their dogs back & reported it with identical descriptions. One is on the local FB page & the police told her they were hopeful as there is so much CCTV along there & in the car parks.

That's the beach out for a free rein walk, but that's OK beach closes to dogs on 1st April, woods already out as someone got followed home walking their dogs in there & the New Forest is a hot spot as well. They therefore have the back garden, lead walks around the area and freedom down at the allotment within my plot! Thankful for fenced plots but have had to raise the height. The pup has also met the neighbours & the committee as I know they will challenge anyone on the plots that shouldn't be and we now have CCTV as also chickens were being stolen as that's another strange thing that folk have got into & prices have gone up for them as well!

Mind it doesn't matter if the dogs are on the lead, they are punching or pushing owners over & running off with the dogs regardless. This will only calm down when the prices go back to normal with the overload of these lockdown dogs going into the shelters for re-homing when folk have to return to work. Maybe not though, as I don't expect the price hikes in the supermarkets will go down again so probably the dogs price won't either.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks for the the tip Monika, was made aware of that after doing some research after finding the fawn.

As for the the dog thieves, there was report of 80 stolen dogs being retrieved from a gypsies camp on the local news.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic