Early Spring Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thought I would just pop over the allotments for a look...had only been over there about 10 mins when, it came over very dark, rain, hail and the wind blew like fury....so I returned home for a Bovril... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

We've two totally sleepless nights with really heavy winds, and local trees blown down. Unfortunately we have a loose flapping letter box which has flapped constantly for two nights. We should have temporarily taped the darned thing down but that would probably have confounded the postman who might have thought we were taking Lockdown a step too far!
robo
KG Regular

I can’t even go down the plot to check things I’m under house arrest at least till I go the trauma clinic this Wednesday I’m getting segs on my bum with sitting looking through the window
Colin2016
KG Regular

"Cut some more PSB today - such lovely stuff. Having it with pasta and ragu sauce for tonight's dinner."

Sounds very tasty to me, going to do mine with lots of olive oil, leeks & pasta.
vivienz
KG Regular

Colin2016 wrote:"Cut some more PSB today - such lovely stuff. Having it with pasta and ragu sauce for tonight's dinner."

Sounds very tasty to me, going to do mine with lots of olive oil, leeks & pasta.

Yum! Just as tasty!
Westi
KG Regular

Much improved weather coming up as wind has died down so just a fresh breeze with sunny intervals tomorrow. 99mph at the Needles last night which was a bit loud even here but no where near 99mph after crossing over to the mainland & diverted by 3 blocks of houses, but plenty of branches down at the wee woods - & mud!

Definitely going to relocate the walk in net cage tomorrow which could be testing as I've got the dogs as Mr is going to go bird watching to see if anything interesting got blown our way. The seals that have been off the beach for months have ended up down the River Stour now, which some are saying was to take shelter from the big waves breaking on the Groynes, but I think following the food as several good pics on the local FB site with big fish in their mouths & their audience is much closer to them on the moorings & they are natural showoffs.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Still very blowy here and also darned cold, probably going down to freezing tonight. The heater is on in the greenhouse now but it really only just lifts the temperature a couple of degrees or so. So the peppers and tomatoes are still firmly staying in the house. Should be calming down tomorrow .....
Compo
KG Regular

In the allotment greenhouse sowing many many seeds cabbages onions sunflowers tomatoes etc. Also my absolute favourite Johnny Walker who is on Radio 2. Very satisfying is that I just fixed a couple couple of rattly plastic panes in the greenhouse. But most annoying is this strong breeze that just won't go away. However, I am sure that a cup of tea and a piece of cake will fix all.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Clive.
KG Regular

I've been re potting the zonal pelargoniums into new compost today, similarly with the radio for company in the greenhouse, Radio Caroline North on 648Khz MW ;)

C.
snooky
KG Regular

Cleaned the patch of ground which I am going to plant up with fruit bushes,one half and the other half as an Asparagas bed.Have to agree with Compo,an annoying strong breeze from the north-west got to places where it shouldn't have.Temperature gauge showing 12 degrees, felt much colder than that.I,too,was glad of a cup of tea!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Primrose
KG Regular

Cut down last of the Curley kale and it,s now cooked with garlic snd frozen in bags. Goes well with cheesy pasta dishes.

Having to rely on Mr Primrose,s ,s manual labour now sadly, but vegetable patch now cleared, raked and a few string lines put in for seed sowing. Going to wait a little in the hope soil will warm up next week

We haven,t seen Elmigo on this forum for age. Do hope he returns to update us on a second season geowing in his new garden as it was fascinating to see how he rose to th challenges of growing in a small space.

Retropants. - do hope your new small veggie plot is coming along nicely?
retropants
KG Regular

Hello Primrose,

Thanks for asking, the soil is looking good after it's dressing of 80L composted manure. Still quite stony, but I'll pick those out as I go. Garlic looks healthy, and I have been feeding it just in case. Everything else is still under cover or not sown yet. I'm not entirely sure how I am going to fit it all in, but I'm sure I'll figure it out somehow!
Primrose
KG Regular

Retropants. I think we need somebody to develop a small courgette plant species. Even one plant with its enormous leaves can dominate a small space and crowd iut other plants. . I know somebody who grew one in an old newspaper recycling box elsewhere in their garden to get over this problem.

The problem is often at this time of year, our enthusiasm to get growing again often outpaces our available growing space. We have partially resolved this problem by using our front garden borders for growing soft fruit bushes & strawberries which has worked well as the garden is fenced in and nobody can really see what is growing there as they walk past on the pavement.
retropants
KG Regular

I've also got a bucket of chicken manure pellets, I'll probably beef up the soil with these as well.
Monika
KG Regular

Because of our greatly reduced vegetable growing space (compared to the allotment), I have grown just two courgette plants in large pots the last two years. and that has worked very well, not least because I can move them if necessary and keep them further apart as they grow. For compost I use a mixture of growbag compost, potting compost and a tadge of organic manure. The two plants have certainly given us enough produce.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic