Late Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

Well it's snewed here...so a few more tidying jobs and a bit of paperwork, maybe.. is today's way forward..

...and with ref the nibbling mice, at work with the pots of Sweet Peas we suspend their trays from roof bars in the big conservatory glasshouse. Safe, unless the mice take up a new abseiling hobby...or parachute in. They can leap a fair way, but touchwood, the plan has worked now for some years.

C.
Compo
KG Regular

Hi Clive. I've done the roof thing before but my greenhouse is only 10x6 so not a lot of headroom. The box doubles as a brassica cage and goes upside down over some cabbages or similar to deter the cabbage white
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Stravaig
KG Regular

It's miserable here. Snow lying even on the busy road at the front and it's been snowing heavily again for most of the day. Temperature down to -9C outside right now. I have a little electric convector heater on in my room as well as the central heating, and I've still had to put on extra layers. Mind you, it was like that the whole time from November to March the first year we were here, so we're still getting off lightly.

Nearly all the plants which aren't beside the hydroponics with lights have died.

Looking forward to spring and planting some new things.

Ikea has opened here in Ukraine and we can order stuff online. We got a small plastic cupboard, which we now jokingly call the garden shed, for the balcony at the back. We haven't got around to putting anything in it yet. I'd planned to keep packets of seeds in it as well as the compost and little gardening implements we have. Maybe I'd better wait re the seeds as I don't suppose it would be a good idea to put them in what's essentially a freezer with our current weather.

On Friday after work, Mr Stravaig plugged something into a trailing socket in my room. There was a flash and a loud bang, and we were plunged into darkness. The whole flat was without power. :( He went out to the landing and, through a glass panel, he could see the switch he needed to flick to get the power back on. The trouble is that he needed a key to open it and we don't have one. We thought that maybe the concierge would have one but no joy there.

Had to phone Mr V the landlord (he's a very pleasant chap who speaks excellent English). He said he had a key and would come and fix the problem but he was an hour away. Thus we had to sit in the dark and wait. When he did get here Mr S said that we should have a key and not have to inconvenience Mr V or ourselves again. Mr V informed us that only the company who supplies electricity should have access to that switch. It was just lucky that he had somehow managed to "acquire" one of these keys.

The good news is that we're in the process of arranging a holiday back to the UK in June. Unfortunately my email isn't working properly and the Internet connection is very dodgy today so it's difficult to communicate with the owner of the property where we'd like to stay.
Westi
KG Regular

Big mistake going down today, but I like to make the most of my days off & tomorrow is not looking attractive at all! (-6C & heavy snow)! Now I know I am a Lilly livered southerner but pretty tough in comparison to the home born & plan was finish shed tidy & tunnel clear & prep. I am a complete fool, shed was OK - no I'm fibbing just better than the tunnel for warmth! Went into the tunnel minus 1 at 10'ish & it kindly got to plus the same as max temp by midday. Fortunately soil was workable & not frozen like outside.

On the positive the amount of layers I had on & still being able to bend was pretty impressive. ;) Didn't start with as many but thankfully keep some waterproofs down there - there I was looking like the Michelin man, triple gloved but frozen feet so odd gait. Fortunately no one down except mugs me, but actually got a wee bit done! I deffo think I should get a 'I was brave' sticker at the very least! :)
Westi
Compo
KG Regular

1740192b-5902-48eb-b153-c457638eae3d.jpg
1740192b-5902-48eb-b153-c457638eae3d.jpg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

My home workshop and allotment shed both have woodburners. Made by my own hands from recycled propane bottles.
Attachments
3169.jpg
3169.jpg (19.32 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Last edited by Compo on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's very clever, Compo...I wouldn't even know where to start, with something like that...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Compo
KG Regular

3204.jpg
3204.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
It started with buying a £50 welder from Aldi. A lot of you tube watching and there you go. I have made several for friends etc. Here is Mk IV in my garage / workshop.
Last edited by Compo on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monika
KG Regular

Wow, Compo. That looks a very useful piece of warming kit!
robo
KG Regular

That looks good just what I need for my shed
Colin2016
KG Regular

Looks great if I had one in my shed would probably only go home to sleep.
Compo
KG Regular

Ahem OH you've sussed me!!
Geoff
KG Regular

They look great, does a kettle boil on the shelf in the middle picture?
Last edited by Geoff on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compo
KG Regular

Hi Geoff - yes a small kettle will get to almost boiling point after about 40 minutes, it then needs a minute on my gas burner to boil it, the other day though I managed to get soup to boil, there must be a scientific reason for that. I often cook up the allotment, and the shelf is excellent for warming a sausage roll or pasty. The one in the allotment is a rebuild, and the little door at the top is to put wood in and let air in. The shelf has a tongue that extends into the stove via a slit then welded in place and sealed where it penetrates the gas bottle 'skin'. The hot fumes inside warm the 'tongue' inside and transfer the heat to through the same continuous piece of metal that forms the shelf.

The version in the home workshop has tube on the side with a sliding door as a ventilation intake and another tube with a sliding door at the bottom to empty the ash out. Also a window. This is the premium design and if and when I modify the allotment one, that is the design I will use. Trial and error. I never realised retirement could be so much fun!! My life is a bit like a Wallace and Grommet movie!!
Geoff
KG Regular

I hope this really is 'Late Winter'. Must be getting soft in my old age but I can't wait for this first real Winter in years to end, bring on global warming!

210210.JPG
210210.JPG (17.01 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
retropants
KG Regular

yes, I noticed the forecast was to be quite chilly tonight. Must remember extra protection for the poor little things that need it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic