Late Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vivienz
KG Regular

Yum, yum, yum! Purple sprouting broccoli with dinner! :D
Monika
KG Regular

Lucky you, Vivienz. I love PSB.
robo
KG Regular

Well here I am sat at the side of a hospital bed ,on Monday afternoon I was asked to take my grandson to his other grandmas I was getting into my car when I did a nose dive over the dividing wall between me and my neighbours on my side it’s about 25 cm high on his just short of a meter about 3 feet I would have been ok I have injured my ribs a cut in my right leg but my left leg is a mess lots of skin missing and two deep holes going to the bone, I’m sat here waiting to see if they will do a graft or leave it for a week to see if it starts heeling I will need the district nurses every day I’m told ,so I could be operated on or sent home I Waite with suspended breath
Monika
KG Regular

Oh, robo, hard luck. I hope it heals well and soon!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Robo, really sorry to read this, I really do hope they get you sorted out okay...what a time you have had of it, just lately...life seems totally unfair for some people...try and keep positive Old Thing.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

That,s bad luck Robo. Just hope they can sort you out and whatever happens, you heal quickly. You must be feeling badly shaken up right now. Sending you kind thoughts.
vivienz
KG Regular

Ouch, Robo. You are going through the wars. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a better turn of events.
Compo
KG Regular

Owchy owch owch
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Kayburton
KG Regular

robo wrote:Well here I am sat at the side of a hospital bed ,on Monday afternoon I was asked to take my grandson to his other grandmas I was getting into my car when I did a nose dive over the dividing wall between me and my neighbours on my side it’s about 25 cm high on his just short of a meter about 3 feet I would have been ok I have injured my ribs a cut in my right leg but my left leg is a mess lots of skin missing and two deep holes going to the bone, I’m sat here waiting to see if they will do a graft or leave it for a week to see if it starts heeling I will need the district nurses every day I’m told ,so I could be operated on or sent home I Waite with suspended breath

What a terrible situation! I hope all be fine. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Primrose
KG Regular

My Daphne Bush is in full flower. The perfume Is divine.

I,ve had several of them over the 45 years we,ve lived in this house but sadly the bushes all eventually died of old age. Does anybody have any tips for taking successful cuttings from this plant? I try every year but eventually they all end dying on me and replacement plants are very expensive to buy.
retropants
KG Regular

oh cripes Robo, that sounds horrid. I hope they get you all patched up and comfortable and get you home asap.
Geoff
KG Regular

All the best Robo, that sounds very unpleasant.

Primrose : I've always failed with Daphne cuttings, both the normal deciduous one and an evergreen that I have. I usually try and keep a seedling or two of different ages going as replacements, they are very slow growing which I assume is why replacements are expensive. I have two bushes just coming into to flower but the one looks like it is thinking of giving up, I pulled up a path than ran past it last year and am wondering if I upset it.
Primrose
KG Regular

Geoff. - your Daphne cuttings comments reassure me that it's not necessarily my own inefficiency that is up for debate here. I,ve even sight advice from one of the National Trust gardeners at Cliveden who told me they have similar issues. I,ve take cuttings at different times during the season too to try and increase my success rate
I suspect one just has to do as you do and take as many cuttings as the plant will allow in the hope of occasionally striking lucky. Hormone rooting powder incidentally doesn,t seem to increase my success rate. I used to have several of these bushes in our front garden and used to love watch passers by stop and sniff the air wondering where the aroma was coming from. - their perfume really was that strong !

Robo. - how are doing now and how do you feel? Are you getting any practical help you need if you're temporarily incapacitated.?
Compo
KG Regular

PAPER POTS.jpg
PAPER POTS.jpg (123.13 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Anyone else got one of these dollies for making paper pots, had mine a few years now, loved making up pots for parsnip seeds today in the sun on the allotment bench
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Primrose
KG Regular

Good for you Compo! And soaking up all that Vitamin D too !
I did have one attempt at making up these newspaper pots using a wooden rolling pin some years ago but found they didn't last long enough to be viable so never bothered again.

And I don't know what's happening to the composition of newspapers these days. Certainly the composition of the Daily Telegraph paper seems to have changed lately. I don't know what it's now like for making newspaper pots but it's certainly less pliable for folding over for reading purposes, and I doubt it has the same wrapping effect for fish and chips !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic