Late Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well since it's the 1st of Feb tomorrow, thought it was time.... :)

Now what will this year bring, on the growing front!!!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm hopeful for this year. All my seed orders arrived a while ago. I was concerned about seed availability because of Covid, so ordered way earlier than usual.

I'm trying a Tuscan kale called Yukon this year. It's much shorter than Nero di Toscana so should be easier to net.

I've also ordered a gooseberry bush and a couple of blueberries for the fruit cage. Last year we put the cage up over existing redcurrent and blackcurrant bushes. The other half I used for sweetcorn, very successfully when it came to keeping squirrels out. However, this year it's having more fruit.

I'm expecting a delivery of onion sets from Dobies in a couple of weeks. I've always had trouble with sets bolting and it seems (according to KG) that sets are prone to bolting unless they're heat treated. I had naively believed that all sets were heat treated! I've ordered ones that specifically say they're heat-treated, so fingers crossed for 2021. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

Must be getting towards spring ........

I used to have trouble with onion sets bolting, Chantal, so I started growing onions from seeds (usually Rijnsburger Balstora), multi-sowing them into to divided trays and then planting them out in 'bunches', as recommended in one of Geoff Hamilton's books. That ensured that we got large, medium and small onions and (usually) no bolters either.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Monika, I grow from seed too. I always found them less prone to bolting, until last year, when they were bolting all over the place.

Every year is different...
Chantal

Westi
KG Regular

Funnily I am happy that we are moving into another month although not that keen on how quick that comes! My seed order came today & there were 3 replacements which was fine, but they sent some well colourful flower seeds as an apology as well! That cheered me just looking at the packet & they are deffo going in at home & lottie.

I once again will sow some of my unusual stuff hoping for a long hot summer - chick peas & peanuts bought from the health food shop in preparation - total fail last year! But the edible passionfruit is doing pretty well under the cloche but hitting the top so will need to create a larger cover to keep it happy! Might even move it into the tunnel but if it takes a liking in there then it will take over! Decisions, Decisions!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi. - intrigued by yiur edible passion fruit. Has anybody ever grown these outdoor and experienced any level of success with them? My impression is that they really need a slightly warmer climate to thrive.

Similarly , anybody had any joy with the small self fertile kiwi fruit - Jenny I think it may be called? The catalogues always suggest growing some of these fruits may be viable here but I suspect many people buy them and end up being disappointed or disillusioned with the lack of success.
Clive.
KG Regular

Wow, what lovely weather today..I went to work thinking that at very best a bit of open ground digging might go but in fact it was ok to pick up on some fiddly herbaceous border forking and splitting...

Then mid afternoon a saying came into my head, I think my grandad used to say about such calm weather days.."It's a weather breeder"...
I hadn't thought of that phrase for years...and sure enough it has breed some weather and the forecast is wet wet wet....for the morning..

C.
Last edited by Clive. on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Elmigo got me onto the edible passionfruit which he grew on his patio very successfully in the high rise before he got his house & garden. I have re-done the planting plan for the tunnel & one of them is going in there & the other will be tried outdoors. His high rise being concrete & the temps he got & radiation of warmth after dark which would have suited them. The tunnel is hitting high 20's already but the low temps will not be appreciated, but still warmer than outside.

Like you my Jenny was not happy Primrose & never did anything but I have a male vine popped up from some bird/animal by the garage wall & it is well happy but every year I forget to get it a wife! Just went on the list thanks to your post. I have no idea how to share or I would offer you a cutting or whatever. It is well established & huge leaves & thick trunk but easily trained along & even over the garage. Happy to share if anyone knows how or wants.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

The last two evenings we have had the geese flying over spring is not far away
Compo
KG Regular

Well I thought I had just said Hi but the lost the post, similar to losing the plot I guess

Anyway apologies for my absence, largely due to the wet winter and having a pacemaker op (no 3 now - battery ran out) This new fangled piece of kit speaks to the interweb via wifi or blue tooth or something and a box of tricks next to my bed with a dongle-thingy - and the hospital can keep an eye on my performance - clever innit. As I needed a third wire in my heart, that means I cannot lift or over extend my left arm, hence only basic things on the plot, such as seed Audit etc. But this week is the four week after surgery point, so I can carefully resume normal activity

But I have my seed potatoes (local garden centre - click and collect) we have Sarpo, kestrel and international kidney. So here's to spring and easing of restrictions. Oh and I have had jab no 1!

I'll try and swing by more often
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Primrose
KG Regular

Glad you're recovering Compo. The trials of ageing eh ?? Take things steadily and hopefully you'll be tackling more tasks before long.

I have to applaud your technical vocabulary.!! It seems to be about the same level as mine and gives me great comfort that I'm not entirely alone in this increasingly rapidly paced world of technology A "dongy thingy" is just about my own level of techy knowledge. !!
Chantal
KG Regular

It's a "dongle-thingy" OH! :lol:
Chantal

Monika
KG Regular

What a difference a day makes! Yesterday we worked in the garden in short sleeves with the sun shining all day (albeit a sneaky light easterly wind) and today everything is covered in thick snow! Well, that's February for you .....
Compo
KG Regular

Sunshine and 12c here Primrose. Monika im 62 so Im a 'young' oldie. I've had a pacemaker since 2007 and the current implant my 3rd. Medical science is amazing. Feels like it wont be long before we will be chatting in the 'early spring bits and bobs'
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Kayburton
KG Regular

Monika wrote:What a difference a day makes! Yesterday we worked in the garden in short sleeves with the sun shining all day (albeit a sneaky light easterly wind) and today everything is covered in thick snow! Well, that's February for you .....

That's why I didn't even start gardening. It's too early and the weather is too unpredictable. Better to wait a little and start tidying up the garden when the weather returns to normal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic