The typewriter for hair

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

When we first started with our usual online shopping website in Ukraine, mostly we could figure out what things were even if the descriptions translated into English were a bit odd. (Eg if you want a washing up bowl then order a pelvis.) We wondered for a couple of years what the typewriter for hair was. (There wasn't a photo or any description of the purpose of this thing.)

Eventually we figured out what it was - hair clippers! And now we've actually bought one. I nag my husband when his hair goes all girly and he nags me back that if I don't like it then I should do something about it. Thus I have become an amateur barber. Amazingly, I've been doing quite a good job. (If you overlook the occasional accidental bald patch.)

I watched and rewatched a couple of videos on YouTube about cutting back and sides with the clippers and then a scissors cut on the top. So that's what I attempted. I've no ambition whatsoever to change career and become a barber! But Mr Stravaig is well pleased with the results.

Have any of you had to take up new tasks that you'd normally just go down the road and spend a couple of bob for? Have any of you also been cutting hair? If so, how have you got on?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Cook has taken on the job of cutting my hair and has been doing really well, up until the last cut...she slipped and gave me a bit of a bald spot...my fault, for suggesting something... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Cook has taken on the job of cutting my hair and has been doing really well, up until the last cut...she slipped and gave me a bit of a bald spot...my fault, for suggesting something... :)

Like the kitchen could do with a clean ?
Clive.
KG Regular

I bought a battery electric hair clipper a bit too late into first lockdown...so the price was inflated. I can do one side quite comfortably but other side feels a bit wrong handed.... I too have suffered the inflicted bald patch...self inflicted in my case due to specsavers error in picking the right number for the guide comb.....so threw in the towel and did the lot on the short comb...just made it last a bit longer..before I had to have next attempt..

Proud of my handiwork I commented to one of my mums carers at the time...she bust into giggles having looked round the back.... Seems that in using the little trimmer to tidy up around the neck I had gone off track a bit...soon had her phone out to snap a picture to provide me with the evidence.!

Bit like gardening, prune a bit too much off and it usually soon grows back...hair, that is...not ears... :shock:

C.
Westi
KG Regular

I do Mr Westi's & first attempt lead to a Grade 1 all over as a slight issue which was over dramatised by him! Now he demands it! Of course I remind him!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

I just let my hair grow! But the under-gardener & I managed to visit the hairdresser twice in 2020 between restrictions.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Mr. Primrose and I did each others with great trepidation towards the end of the first lockdown, reminding each other that we had last used the clippers as hard up newly weds over 50 years ago so we were both badly out of practice. Nevertheless we survived the experience and who cares? In lockdown nobody sees you to laugh at it anyway and by the time lockdown has ended it's had time to grow a little anyway.

I did manage to get a proper haircut just before the November lockdown and my unisex hairdresser told me she had seen "some very strange haircut sights" when her clients returned. The worst one was a son who'd wreaked revenge on his dad who'd admonished him for bad behaviour during lockdown !! Revenge is sweet !
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm lucky as having long hair I can pull it in a ponytail over the top of my head, bend over so I can see it in front of me and cut an inch or two off. Hasn't failed yet and I have to be honest, I don't need lockdown to do this...

I do always remember to put the kitchen scissors in the dishwasher afterwards. :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
peter
KG Regular

I do a buzz cut with my electric clippers, as short as they'll go - no comb attached.
Run my hand over my head for any missed bits.
More often then not I then shave it, very easy for a wet hand to find unshaved bits!
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

I cut my OH's hair and beard, so no problem there, but mine got to almost pigtail length during the first lockdown. Luckily, this time had my 'winter shearing' just before they shut again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic