Feeling like Sisyphus

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

I decided to resurrect my long neglected food blog. Haven't touched it for several years. Oh my, everything has changed from how the editor's back office works, to nearly all the links are broken, and many pages are obsolete. Nothing works in the same way as it used to.

It's crossed my mind that it might be easier to start again. But with nearly 1,000 posts that just wouldn't make sense at all. I will have to fix it up. But every time I fix something (or get my husband to fix it - he's even taken a week's leave from work to help me get this show back on the road again) it only uncovers half a dozen other things that need fixing. Perhaps more Hydra than Sisyphus.

I have loads of ideas and could easily new add content but, to get from A to B, it seems like we have to build a whole new road first and learn how to do a 100 new things in the process.

I'm not needing solutions. The only solution is to get on with it (or give up, and I don't want to do that). I just wondered if anyone else was facing this kind of "one step forward, two steps back" problem and how you deal with it. (A wee bit of sympathy wouldn't go amiss either.) :lol: That said, in the overall scheme of things it's probably not much of a problem to have.
Primrose
KG Regular

I know how you must feel Stravaig. I think the problem many of us are discovering these days (especially those of us in the older age groups) is that technology generally has moved on so quickly in recent years that it,a pretty much impossible to keep up with all of it, especially when you're an amateur in the game.

When one was working, to a certain extent, if you needed new technology training to do your job, your company would send you on a designated training course and if you were fortunate enough to work for a large organisation there would often be an in- house technical experts to help yiu too. When you retire from work you're often cast out into outer darkness and soon find yourself struggling . It,s not helped by the fact that software companies continually update and upgrade their products without proving adequate customer support.

A friend of ours has his own comouter business. He's the local guru when it comes to helping clients sort out all kinds of computer & software issues and he has never known a time when it has been more stressful and challenging in needing to keep up with technology in all fields . He has confessed that often the best way for the non professionals to find out how to do something, or sort out a potential issue is to Google "How to ............. ". Enough people have often experienced a similar problem for there to be some online help or advice on the internet.

Don,t give up if it's something you've enjoyed doing although it may obviously be hard work starting from virtual scratch again. The technology certainty always seems to advance in leaps and bounds whenever one gives up and has a break, even for a few months! You come back and find so many things have changed.

My main gripe is that the software nerds and manufacturing companies always assume their customers have the same level of IT knowledge as they do. The reality now is that you rarely even get a paper manual when you buy a major domestic appliance these days . You have to go Online to download a copy which strikes me as lousy customer service. What happens to the elderly who don,t have a computer or those who live out in the sticks with no broadband connection ?

The day that this Kitchen Garden forum website gets a makeover will probably be the day I decide to call it a day and slink off permanently down my Burrow. . My ageing brain can only cope with so much change these days!
Westi
KG Regular

I quite often go to the 'How to' search. Sometimes I persevere (all written down), but generally I don't quite understand what they are talking about. I think the work IT have blocked my extension number as their reply is to report online, but none of the options just says 'I can't find my files' as they use computer language. Fortunately I know their names so go direct to their private e-mails, working so far! :)
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Thanks for understanding. I've always been quite computer literate. I was building websites more than 20 years ago in the days before Google and long before Feckbook. But these days it's just getting to be so difficult. Things you can do today without any problems won't work the same way tomorrow. Sometimes it's like starting again every day.

I almost envy people who don't have a computer or smart phone and just carry on as they always did before the Internet age. I don't even know how to use my phone now. These things aren't necessarily intuitive and if you don't know how to do certain things there doesn't seem to be much to help.

I agree, things probably change too quickly for everyone, even younger people, except for those who make the changes happen.

Oh well, onward and upward...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic