Brussel Sprouts.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Having returned back to my hometown in the mid 1980's, unemployed and dejected I decided to have a walk round our local allotments. I soon struck up a conversation with some of the old miners who had tended their allotments for many years. One of them offered me some Brussel Sprouts and on saying, "Yes please", he just hacked off a plant stem about 2 foot long festooned with excellent sprouts. When I asked what variety they were he told me they were called "Welland" and he grew another var called "Widgeon". Today I can't find either of these varieties for sale. Does anyone know anything about them please?
Monika
KG Regular

Barkelberrybear, if you google those two varieties you will find quite a lot of information on them. Both appear to be American - you don't say where you are, so perhaps you are in the USA or the allotment holder got his seeds from there? I don't know whether they are available now in the UK, but a bit of internet research might get you an answer.
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Thanks Monika, I'm in Derbyshire UK now, happily retired with two allotments. Living the dream. I' ll google them. Thank you for the imput.
Monika
KG Regular

Good luck! If you can't find any in the UK, there are plenty of other very good (and more modern) varieties, of course.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic